two

T W O

                                                                               "Drowse"

                                                              .                       .                          .

Brandon can't stop staring. He wants to pick it up -- But, it's. . . A pregnancy test. In the trash can. That's kind of gross, don't you think?

He shakes his head, blinking twice before dropping his toothbrush back into the cup and swinging the bathroom door open, the one that leads to Callie and Mariana's room.

He sees her peeling her covers back so she can settle in; her hair is falling over her shoulders and down her back, she's wearing wrinkly sweatpants and a low cut base-ball t shirt. When she turns around to face him, he notices the bags under her eyes and her adjusted frown.

"I. . . Um. . ."

Mariana scoffs at him, "Barge in, why don't you?"

"Come see." He says, stepping aside to make room for Mariana, whose eyebrows are raised in suspicion. Brandon rolls his eyes and motions into the bathroom, "Come see." He repeats in a heavier tone. Mariana sighs deeply and dramatically, running her fingers through her hair before pushing herself off of her bed and trudging into the bathroom with Brandon.

"Is -- Is this yours?" Brandon hurries over to the trash can, pointing to the pregnancy test with a shaking finger. Mariana gasps, her hand covering her gaping mouth as she shakes her head profusely, "G-God no! What the hell?!" Her exclamation is muffled, but it still echoes.

"Shhh!"

She removes her hand from her mouth, peering down at the stick, "You think Mama is pregnant?"

Brandon damn well knows who took the test, but before he starts making crazy accusations toward his foster sister of being pregnant with his baby, he has to make sure there isn't any other possible candidates.

"No. . ." He ruffles his hair in frustration and worry, "She would have told us if they were trying again. . ."

"So. . . Who was i--" Mariana pauses, her eyes frantically scanning the wall as she thinks. "B?"

Brandon glances at her nervously, "Yeah?"

"Has anything. . . Happened . . . Between you and Callie recently?"

He sucks in a breath, that breath getting caught in his throat. He coughs, rubbing his cheek and looking away from Mariana, "Why do you ask?"

"Brandon. . ."

"What, Mariana?" He snaps, "We're brother and sister."