{5}

As I ran around the house Friday evening, I got ready for mine and Jesse's date.

"Guys!" I ran downstairs in my navy blue romper, the sleeves and hem lined with lace. "I'll be back later! I'm going out for dinner!"

"Hold on, Nina!" Misty's English accent called through the house. She scurried over to me and patted me down, checking to make sure I looked okay, I guessed. "Oh, Nina. You are such a beautiful young lady."

"Thank you," I said, hugging her.

"May I ask where you are going?"

"I have a date," I said simply, smiling brightly.

"A date! You didn't tell me about this!" Misty grinned and bit her finger. "Good luck."

"Thanks." I took a deep breath and exhaled. "I hope it goes well."

"Me too. Goodbye!" she hugged me once more.

"Bye," I said, walking out. I closed the door behind me and when I turned around, Jesse was waiting right there for me.

He was dressed in khakis and a flannel, and his hair was combed all nice. He wore a pair of nice Vans shoes, and from top to bottom he looked spick and span.

"Aww, Jess!" He smiled and shoved his hands in his pockets, rocking back and forth on his feet. "Thanks," he said. "You look absolutely... amazing. You're beautiful."

At this, my cheeks turned pink and I smiled. "Thank you! You are too kind."
I leaned on his shoulder, and he kissed my temple. "Ready?"

"Ready," I replied confidently. I couldn't believe I actually had a boyfriend.

*

That evening Jesse and I sat at a candlelight table, lit just for the both of us.

I noticed that when the waiter asked if we'd like any alcoholic beverages, Jesse shook his head, turning it down. I was very surprised, and a little taken aback.

When we had finished eating, I also had taken to the fact he pulled something out of his back pocket, seemed to open some sort of container, and stick a thin strip of film in his mouth.

I was relieved it wasn't chewing tobacco or anything, but I was confused. He met eyes with me, seeing my expression and asked, "What?"

"What was that?"

"It's nothing, Nina. Nothing you need to worry about," he said in a soft, calm voice. He slowly scooted forward, inching closer to me from where he sat across from my spot at the table.

"But --"

His smug smile gave me the chills as he inched closer, his hand rested behind my neck, his lips meeting mine.

And, oh... that kiss was the first and best kiss I'd ever had.

His lips were warm and soft, but his breath was cool and minty. So, that's what he put in his mouth, I thought while I closed my eyes and he continued to kiss me slowly, but innocently.

His lips didn't taste like smoke like I expected them to, and neither did his breath.

And as the kiss ended and he took his lips off of mine, a small smile crept across his face. And I kissed him back again.

Later on I found out all he had put in his mouth was a breath strip. I thought it was considerate. And I thought my boyfriend was a pretty good one.

I had a lot to tell Misty and Morty when I got home.