{3}

After a long day of testing, lab reports and experiments, Morty and Misty said they would take me to the bar for a drink or two, but only if I dressed nice. Misty helped me do my hair, a messy bun, and my makeup, white shimmery shadow and mascara with very nicely done winged eyeliner. My shoes were just simple black flats, as well as my simple black dress to match.

"Ready!" I called from the bathroom as I looked at myself in the mirror.

"Come on out and let's go then," Misty called back.

When I walked out to show Misty and Morty my new look, they both gasped and did a bunch of ooh's and ah's. I smiled.

Morty drove us all to the bar, and we walked in, it was loud and filled with people. I reminded myself I still had to keep a low profile.

I kept my head down and walked with Morty and Misty to wherever they led me. Morty said he would order the drinks for us so I didn't have to go up there. Half the people in this place were probably drunk anyway.

And then I saw him. The attractive car garage worker with black hair and blue eyes and the horizontal scar through his right eyebrow. He was sitting alone at the bar with a beer in his hand.

My guess was that my eyes were wide with shock, because Morty was calling my name and waving his hand in front of me.

"Nina."

"Huh?"

"Here," he said, trying to hand me a drink from the bar.

"Uh... no, it's okay. I don't really feel like anything right now."

"Are you sure? You asked me to get it for you."

"Yes, I'm sure," I said, still staring at the guy.

"Nina, what are you - oh, good old Jesse next door?"

"Jesse?" I said, looking up at Morty.

"Yeah, Jesse. What are you staring at him for?"

"I don't know," I said, trying to hide a smile.

"You don't know. I doubt that," Morty said, taking a swig of his drink. "You like him."

"What? That is so not true."

"Yes, you do."

"No!"

"Okay. Well, take your eyes off of him and focus on us for a bit."

"Right," I said slowly, looking back at Misty and Morty. When they looked away at something else, I looked back at Jesse.

Jesse turned and looked back at me, meeting eyes with me, and I felt like something clicked when he did. I looked away quickly and hid a smile.

When I looked back at him, his head was turned the other way again. When he just looked at me a minute ago - oh, he was cute. I couldn't help but admit it.

Misty and Morty said they were going to go say hello to some friends, so I stayed back, leaning against the bar alone. I looked around at everyone, who were all with friends and having a good time. I wish that was me, because I feel like I couldn't truly have a good time right now.

"Hey," a voice said, and at my eyes level was a man's shoulders. I looked up to see who it was. It was Jesse.

"Hi," I said softly, smiling a little. My heart was beating so fast and so hard, I feel like I'd have to catch it because it was going to fly out of my chest.

"I saw you earlier outside. Did you just move in next door?"

"No, um... well, yes. My friends --" I gestured toward Morty and Misty, who were talking to some other people "-- well, they took me in. My house was sold against my will," I lied. Why did I choose that lie? That was the most unbelievable one I could've chosen.

Jesse nodded anyway. "I'm Jesse, by the way. Jesse Andrews." He said, sticking his hand out.

I slid my hand into his. His was warm and rough and much bigger than mine so it covered it completely. He shook it gently and smiled. I smiled back. Then I remembered if I used my real name, he would know who I was. So I made one up, and fast. "I'm Serena Thompson."

Even though I wanted to hold on, he let go of my hand and leaned against the bar. "That's a beautiful name," he said, and I suddenly regretted lying about my name. What if I told him my real name and he thought it was ugly?

"Thank you," I said. I had a huge smile on my face, and it was real, but I knew it probably looked stupid.

He inched closer to me, sliding his arm behind me so it rested against my back. "I was wondering if you would let me, uh... get you a drink. It's on me."

"Oh, actually... I don't drink, but thank you." That was the truth and I had yet to tell Morty and Misty that.

He chuckled, nodding. "So you don't drink, but you're at a bar."

"Yes. It wasn't my choice," I said, crossing my arms.

"It wasn't your choice?"

"No. Thank you for the offer, though."

"Sure." He was quiet for a minute, and he looked me in the eyes. His were a bright, romantic blue and they were beautiful. "Care to sit down?" he asked, gesturing to the stool next to his. He didn't take his eyes off of me. I shivered.

"Okay." He rotated the stool so that it faced me. I sat down on it and he turned me so I faced the bar. "Thanks."

"You're welcome."

I was surprised a guy like him would like a girl like me. Typically I would think he'd be interested in a girl who's clothes weren't modest and who acted filthy. But I guessed not.

Jesse leaned into me, mumbling into my ear, "You're name's not really Serena, is it?"

I looked at him as he pulled away, and shook my head. "No," I said quietly.

Misty and Morty came over and pulled me off the stool. Morty grabbed my shoulders and shook them. "We couldn't find you anywhere, Nina --" he glanced at Jesse and smiled a little. "Let's go," he whispered.

"But --"

"Let's go!" Morty directed me towards the door, and I turned my head. Jesse smiled at me and waved. "See you around. Nina."

I smiled and blushed, and they pushed me out.

"You were talking to him? He's a troublemaker! He's always at the bar, always smoking, he's --" Misty exclaimed, gasping.

"He's not so bad."

Misty rolled her eyes. "You're insane."

As I stepped in the car and we rode home, I thought of him the whole way. I liked him. I liked him a lot.