Chapter 33: Getting Through School

Marissa POV 

It's Monday and I'm kinda scared to go to school. I was trying to figure out what to tell the nosey people that were going to ask questions, if i tell them anything at all. I sighed to myself and decided I'd just cross that bridge when i got there.  

I looked at myself in the mirror and realized i looked a little flushed. My throat was kinda itchy as well. Thank goodness maybe I'm getting a cold and can stay home from school. 

"No Marissa you will not do this! You will be strong and you don't give two flying farts about what they have to say" I say to myself in the mirror. I made an ill face at my choice of words but shrugged it off.  

There was a honk coming from outside. I looked out my window to see Chresanto's car outside. He got out and leaned on the hood. He looked up and seen me watching him. I could see his million dollar smile all the way up here. He waved happily. I waved back and blew him a kiss. As we were silently communicating, the smile on my face was snatched off when i seen my mother walking towards him. His facial expression changed as well. I watched as they had a conversation then Chres got in his car and left. I quickly ran downstairs to see what was up. 

I caught my mother as she was walking back into the house 

"What did you just do?" i said to her. She locked the door and walked away ignoring me as if i had said nothing. 

"Hello! Im speaking to you. What did you just do?" i followed her into the kitchen then she tossed the keys to me. I automatically caught them but I was still confused. She picked up her mug full of either tea or coffee, drank it then finally spoke 

"I told him to go to school and to not speak to you again. If you weren't going to break it off with him I'm sorry but i had to do it for you." she said. My jaw fell to the ground. Did she really? 

"You can't do that!" i yelled 

"Stop telling me what i can and can't do Marissa!" 

"This is my life your ruining here" 

"No I'm saving your life" 

"Well that was pretty stupid considering i still have to go to school with him." 

"I know that. And i can't stop you two from speaking then, but i can at least stop him from picking you up in the morning. One step at a time is all i need" she said followed by her sipping her drink. I was just stuck there in awe. She is really serious "I'm sorry Mary. I liked Chresanto and actually thought he was a good kid. I'm not saying he's bad, he's just a bad influence" 

"How?"

"He took you virginity Mary. And now you have HIV"

I took a deep breath so I wouldn't yell. After counting to 10 I started to speak "Mom, you think you know everything! Chres didn't take my virginity. I lost that when Jacob raped...I mean was forced to have sex with me. Your smart" I said hoping she'd notice the sarcasm in my voice "And another thing we don't even know if I have HIV or not." She was speechless. I can't believe she just did what she did.

"My decision is final. No matter what"

"Well this isn't going by easy. Im not going down wothout a fight" 

"If you say so Marissa" she said raising her mug at me. I shook my head and left 

I sped to the school and power walked my way through the building in search of Chresanto. Despite everyone snickering and pointing I still went through the school with my head held high. I found him waiting at my locker thankfully. He was leaned up against it on his phone