Hope Is Lost

The next morning the city was filled with excitement. Boromir's men were mounted on their horses amd ready to depart.

Boromir was at the head. As well as his younger brother, Faramir. Who wasn't too sure about the whole thing.

Also at the front was Gandalf. Riding a horse that wasn't Shadowfax. Aragorn and the others watched them leave. All them with fear inside of them.

They watched as the left the city, people crowded the streets. Waving goodbye to their loved ones who were leaving them.

The people belived that Boromir would defeat Sauron. There was no doubt in any of their minds. Except for Aragorn and the others.

Once they left Pippin looked at the others and asked, "Now what?" "We wait." Aragorn replied calmly. "We need to be ready in case anything happens. If Sauron regains the ring we must be ready to lead the people to safety."

He turned to Theodred. "You've inspected the tunnel?" Theodred nodded. "We should be able to get everyone through. It leads straight into the mountains. We could head for Rohan if the need came."

"The only reason we'd go to Rohan is to warn the people. But I do not know if that would be possible." Theodred said nothing. He turned to Eowyn who had the same look of concern as he did.

Aragorn knew that they were worried about their home. He wouldn't allow them to leave the city though. If anything happened they would be killed.

"What about Legolas?" Sam asked. Aragorn looked at the hobbit. "What about him?"
"If Sauron does send an army to attack us we won't leave him. Right?"

Aragorn didn't reply. Instead he turned his attention to Eomer. "We're going to need to be ready for an attack. I want a watch at the gates. If anything moves from Mordor I want to know about it."

Eomer nodded and went to carry out his orders. Eowyn went with him. "You didn't answer his question Aragorn." Gimli narrowed his eyes at him.

"I don't have time for this Gimli."

"He's your friend for Durin's sake!" Gimli exclaimed.

"He was my friend."

"What do you mean 'was your friend'?" Theodred asked.

"It's not your concern. Or yours Gimli."

"He could help us." Gimli started. "He knows how to fight, if we were attacked-"

"He knows how to kill. That's all he knows. He doesn't know the difference between killing orcs and men."

"You're being ridiculous. What he did happened hundreds of years ago. He did nothing to harm you."

"He almost killed me twice! Haven't you forgotten?"

"You mean what happened at Amon Hem? That was never intentional!" Gimli argued.

"What about when he stabbed me? He knew exactly what he was doing then. He was trying to kill Boromir and he wasn't going to let anyone stop him. I never wanted Boromir to die! I still don't. Legolas would kill him without blinking an eye!"

People had started to stare at them. The hobbits glanced nervously at eachother.

"What if I had taken the ring? What if it had been me instead of him? Now I know what he would have done to get the ring back. He would have killed me. Just like he killed those other elves. Those men, his friend."

"Is that what you're afraid of? You're afraid that he'll kill you?"
Gimli asked.

Aragorn lowered his head. "After what I said to him, I don't doubt that he would."

"Listen Aragorn. I don't know much about elves, I barely know about Legolas. But I do know that he's more loyal than anyone I have ever met. He'd give his life for you, or any member of the fellowship." Gimli began to walk away. He wanted to inspect that tunnel for himself.

Aragorn left as well. Not speaking or looking at anyone.
The hobbits looked at one another in sadness. Theodred sighed. "This is not going to end well..."

------------------------------------------------------

Boromir rode to the front of the Black Gate. Faramir and Gandalf rode with him.

"Are you sure about this Boromir? It doesn't feel right."
Faramir said quietly.

"It is too late to turn back now. We must continue." Boromir replied. His voice revealing a small trace of fear.

Gandalf said nothing. He knew no good would come from this.

As they approached the gate Gandalf felt a darkness growing inside of him. It was getting stronger.

He knew what it was. He had come. He knew they had the ring.

The gate began to open. The three riders stopped. They could feel the same darkness Gandalf felt.

The gate opened to reveal a countless army of orcs. They spread out before them like a black ocean.

At the center of it all was the dark lord himself. Sauron had come.

He was a terrifying figure clad in black. He wore a mask that covered his face. The men's horses reered and neighed in terror.

Sauron lifted his hand and spoke in the black speech. At once the orcs swarmed out of the Black Gate. They met the army in a terrible clash that ended the lives of many.

Gandalf was struggling to catch sight of Boromir. He didn't see the man but what he saw terrified him more than anything.

Sauron, towering over the men, and ring of power on his hand.

It was over. Sauron's full power had been restored. He lifted his arms and roared. At once the orcs ran over the men.

Gandalf looked up to see the Nazgul, riding Fell Beasts, soaring over the massive army.

Gandalf's worst fears had come true. This army would go to Minas Tirith. They would destroy everything.

And at the center of it all was Sauron. The wizard felt a terrible darkness overcome him. He gasped and fell from his horse.

Darkness began to fill him. He was fading. The darkness consumed him.

And he knew no more.

------------------------------------------------------

Galadriel gasped and fell to the ground. Her husband, Celeborn, helped her to her feet.

"What is it? What's wrong?"

"The ring... Sauron has the ring."

Celeborn's eyes widened. No. It couldn't be.

Galadriel looked at her husband in fear. "The quest has failed. Darkness has returned to Middle Earth."

------------------------------------------------------

Two more chapters to go! Get ready cause it's gonna get crazy!