Chapter 17: The Aftermath

Aragorn swung his sword at another orc. It fell dead under his horse.

He looked around him. Everyone else was finishing the rest of the orcs off. Most were fleeing while others tried to fight back.

It was over for them. They'd won. But now came what Aragorn believed to be the worst part of any battle.

Finding and counting the dead.

The soldiers spread out. Some collected the orc bodies so that they could be burned, while others searched among their own for any that were wounded or dead.

Aragorn met up with Gimli and Theodred who were taking in the destruction around them.

"I can't believe this." Theodred sighed as Aragorn walked towards them.

"We should have been expecting an attack of some kind from orcs! We should have been on our guard!"

"I understand perfectly lad."
Gimli said. No doubt he was thinking about when the orcs had attacked the Fellowship at Amon Hem.

Theodred looked around in dismay. "So many wounded. We have to get the people some place where they can be looked after."

Aragorn looked around. They didn't have many options. The Golden Hall had almost been completely destroyed, many buildings were still on fire and burning.

"We can get most of them into the hall." Aragorn told Theodred.
"I can help the injured."

Theodred looked gratefully at Aragorn. "Gimli and I will send people there. Go find Eowyn. She can help you with the wounded."

Theodred and Gimli set off while Aragorn headed for the Golden Hall.

People were already making their way towards there.

Aragorn entered through the way he and Theoden's men had come out. They had been fortunate that the way hadn't become blocked.

As he entered he was suprised to see that people were already there and settled.

Aragorn spotted Eowyn as she moved through the crowd of people. She was doing her best to keep everyone calm while she assesed which ones needed the most attention.

"May I help?" he asked as he walked over to her.

She looked up at him, startled.
"Of course. If you could see to the people over there I would be grateful. I'll bring you whatever you need."

She sped off to another part of the room while Aragorn headed in the direction she pointed out.

The people here were injured the most. Aragorn made his way over to a man who was bleeding heavily from his shoulder.

Aragorn knelt down and began his work. Eowyn and the other healers who were down there provided whatever resources they could for treating the people.

Aragorn moved from one person to the next. While he worked his mind raced.

Why had the orcs attacked? How did they manage to attack them unaware?

Thinking about the attack made Aragorn remember about Legolas. The elf had just run off into the battle without a second thought.

Was he alright? Aragorn shook the thought off. Of course he was. Nothing could kill that elf.

He was an excellent fighter who had been killing orcs for more years than Aragorn could count.

That's not the only thing he's killed.

Aragorn suddenly remembered what Legolas had told him.

About what he'd done, how he'd served Sauron. Being forced to kill people against his will.

How could he live with something like that? Aragorn knew he couldn't.

He sighed. Whatever Legolas had done in the past didn't matter. It hadn't been his fault anyway.

Aragorn decided he would drop the subject for the time being.

He could ask Gandalf about it later. After all, Legolas said that he already knew.

As Aragorn stood up from his latest patient he heard a voice call out to him.

"Aragorn!" he turned and saw Pippin standing nearby. He was waving him over.

Aragorn walked towards him and saw the rest of the hobbits, and Legolas.

He followed Pippin over to them while the hobbit filled him in on what was wrong.

"Merry got hit the head by something, I'm not sure what it was but he says it hurts. And Sam's foot has a big scar on it. Legolas has a cut on his neck but Frodo and I are fine. What about Gandalf amd Gimli? Are they alright? And Theodred and Eomer? Did you know that Eowyn is Eomer's sister? She's really nice, she showed me and Merry the armory before the orcs attacked. How many orcs were there? Are they all dead? Are-"

"For goodness' sake Pippin! You're going to talk him to death!"
Merry called over from where he sat up against a wall.

"Sorry. I talk alot when I'm nervous."
Pippin apologized while looking down at his feet.

Aragorn chuckled as he looked at his friends.
Merry and Sam sat side by side against the wall. Merry had a small wound on his head while Sam's foot had a nasty scar that was still bleeding.

Frodo stood next to Legolas who had his arms crossed. Aragorn could see a small red scar on Legolas' neck.

Aragorn inspected Sam's injury first. "It's not too deep. I'll bind it for you and then you'll need to take it easy on your foot until it heals."

"Alright. At least it's nothing serious." Sam replied.

Aragorn wrapped the hobbit's foot up in a cloth and then turned to Merry.

"It's just a scratch. It'll heal in time."

Merry sighed in relief. "Thank goodness. I couldn't deal with anymore life threatening injuries."

Finally Aragorn turned to Legolas. "I'm fine." the elf told him as soon as he stood up.

"Just let me make sure."

Legolas sighed but let Aragorn inspect his scar.

"You were lucky Legolas. Any deeper and you would have
died."

Aragorn looked at his friend skeptically. Legolas usually never received any kind of wound during a battle.
"What happened?" he asked.

"I let my guard down for a moment." Legolas repied calmly.
"I will have to be more cautious in the future."

Aragorn didn't push him any further. Legolas looked behind him and Aragorn followed his gaze. Eowyn was walking towards them.

"My uncle wishes to speak with you, both of you." she said.

Aragorn glanced at Legolas and then back at Eowyn. "Can you handle everything down here?"

"We can help!" Pippin told them. "Me and Frodo can help out down here."

Eowyn smiled at the hobbit and then looked back at Aragorn.
"I believe I will be fine."

"Alright then. Come Legolas."
Aragorn and Legolas made their way through he room and out to where Theoden awaited them.