Chapter 7 - Too Much To Take

“She did not say that!”

“She did.”

It’s Saturday night and I’ve been invited to Olivia and Sofia’s apartment for a small party between the three of us, just like old times.

I wanted to forget about the whole experience with Gwen last night so I wasn’t going to say anything about it. Olivia and Sofia, being my best friends, saw straight through me and wouldn’t shut up until I told them, though.

As soon as I said Gwen’s name Olivia gasped and started shaking her head. When I had finished with my story I could barley speak and both girls were staring at me blinking, their mouths wide ‘O’ shapes.

“I did tell you…” Olivia says disapprovingly.

“Yeah, I know, but I didn’t know she was going to freak at me,” I reply pulling my duvet up to my chin.

Olivia is so annoyed. Steam is minutes away from shooting out of her ears. Sofia on the other hand, seemed perfectly calm. I’m guessing she’s still thinking about her fourth date with Aiden last night. She’s not talking about him non-stop, now, but she acts like she’s in a dream all of the time. It’s extremely difficult to get real sentences out of her, though. Usually she just babbles on about Matilda or Sylvia.

“What’re you going to do?” she asks now.

I look over at her and see her sad face. “I don’t know,” I laugh shakily, “Nothing, I suppose.”

“You’ve got to do something-” Sofia starts.

“No, I don’t. I could tell the guys, but they might not believe me,” I sigh, “Or I could confront her about it, but somehow I think she may try to pin a few more lies on me either way.”

“We could do it!” Olivia suggests, but I just shake my head at her.

“Thanks for the offer, but they’ll just think I’m a wimp if you do that.”

I wouldn’t be able to handle it if the boys found out about this. I just know that Gwen would make me seem like the big bad wolf and make Louis agree with her. If Louis agrees with her then I’m positive the others would back him up, seeing as they are the big pop group that has the ability to take away my job and my new home.

“Let’s just watch the film, eh?” Olivia says as she pulls out our three favourite sleepover films. We don’t mention the boys or Gwen for the rest of the night, but there’s no doubt that it’s all I’m thinking about.

The next day I leave around dinnertime because both of the girls are going out with their boyfriends, Olivia and Danny to the cinema and Sofia and Aiden to some posh restaurant.

I walk into our house and can hear that everybody is upstairs. Music is belting from the attic; guitars and piano are easily drowned out by the loud voices of the boys.

I climb the two sets of stairs to the attic and find them all singing along to a playlist of cheesy songs like ‘Barbie Girl’ and ‘Cartoon Heroes’. ‘Them’ I see is actually One Direction, and Gwen.

The boys see me at the top of the stairs and drag me over to join in singing. I jump about with them and mime the words to the song whilst they all scream happily. Once this song is finished Gwen turns the music off.

“You’ve got to listen to their new song! It’s amazing! They just played it exclusively for me!” Gwen boasts to me, but I’m not letting her know that a tiny thing like this can bug me…which it isn’t.

“Er, do we have to?” Harry blushes, looking around at the room. Gwen frowns at him.

“No, Harry,” Niall suddenly decides, “We don’t have to, you do. It is your song after all…” he says, looking around at the others to see if they agree. Surprisingly, it’s only Harry that doesn’t.

“Aww, c’mon Harry! You know you want to!” I wink at him cheekily, laughing, and he eventually gives in.

“Okay, okay, but Niall you’ve gotta play it. I’m not singing to the recording.”

Everyone falls onto one of the beanbags that have been placed in a semicircle surrounding Niall and Harry. Niall begins to pluck the strings of his guitar and my face lights up; it’s the song I heard Harry singing by mistake two weeks ago!

I try and hide my smile so I look serious and as if I’m really impressed by it, which I am of course, but I’ve heard this exact version of the song once before.

Harry remembers this. He’s refusing to look at me, even though I’m sat right in front of him. It takes all the effort I have to not sing along to the chorus and some other lines I remember, but I manage it. When he finally finishes singing we all clap and cheer him, but he ignored us and sat at the back of the room smiling to himself.

“What do you think, then?” asks Niall.

“It’s fantastic, really,” I answer, looking straight at Harry who still will not look at me.

“Our next hit song!” cheers Zayn and the rest of us join in with a ‘WOO.’

Half an hour later we’re all downstairs having a little party. There’s no reason for it, I think it’s just because we have some Doritos left in the cupboard that we cannot let go to waste.

Louis lets Gwen stay over for the party, so that’s clearly a bonus for me.

She squishes on the armchair with Louis, giggling away, but that’s fine by me because my lovely grey chair swivels around so my back is to them. That doesn’t stop Gwen pestering me, though.

“So, Cassie, where did your friends go today?” she asks when the advertisements flicker on the telly.

“Um, they went out with their boyfriends,” I answer, confused by her nosy question.

“Oh, so you didn’t make any plans with your boyfriend?” she asks sweetly. Ah, now I see what her plan is. Could she get any more pathetic?

I sigh and turn my chair around fully, “I don’t have a boyfriend, at the minute.”

“Oh,” she says with mock surprise, “Funny…” she muses, but I’m not going to let her have this one either. I smile and turn my chair back around just as the programme comes back on.

My throat quickly becomes very, very dry, so I stomp my way into the kitchen to grab a glass of water and some fresh air.

I’m gulping down glass after glass of freezing cold water and leaning over the sink to open the window when Zayn bursts through the door with Niall, half a bowl of Doritos in his hand.

Zayn walks straight up to me and asks, “Cassie are you alright?”

“Yeah I’m fine,” I lie, rubbing my forehead, “why wouldn’t I be?”

“Well you don’t seem like your usual self…” says Niall.

“Pfft! Don’t know what you’re talking about! I’m just tired.” I lie again, but it seems to work. They both give me a hug before going back into the living room. Even though I had laughed at them for doing so when there’s ‘nothing wrong with me’, it felt nice that they were worried about me.

I really don’t know what I’m going to do about Gwen. I can’t carry on like this – it’s humiliating.

I stare into the back garden where everything is dark and moody under the big navy blue sky. Staring up at the twinkling white dots, I suddenly get an idea.

It’s not the most fantastic idea I’ve ever thought off, but I honestly can’t see another window of opportunity here.

It’s the only way to get Gwen off of my back.

I have a plan.