Chapter 3 - ...Mistake

Of course, I was completely wrong thinking there would be no more perks to my new job. Days after I returned to my London flat, wondering when I’d start work again, I received a phone call from Simon telling me that he was the Groups mentor, and was taking them to Marbella!

I was going to Marbella! The only holidays I’d ever been on before were to Pontins, sleeping in cramped little rooms.

However it wasn’t going to be much of a holiday. Since the groups knew nothing about their mentor until they arrived, I was in charge of them. Though luckily I had the help of a camera crew.

My friends ignored the job part and focused more or the Marbella aspect when I’d told them.

“I can’t believe you got this job!” squealed my roommate, Olivia, as I was packing, “And you get to see the shows for free…” she added, glancing at me sideways. I know she loves the show and I bet she’s eager to see it firsthand. I’m shocked she hasn’t already started begging me to get tickets for her and her boyfriend, Danny.

“Like I said, it’s a job! I still have to work,” I said innocently, but secretly thinking of the next few weeks of sun, sea and music.

“Whatever,” Olivia replied dismissively, “I’ll murder you if you come back with a tan!” she had teased.

My other roommate, and cousin, then barged into my already crowded bedroom.

“Something wrong, Sofia?” I asked warily, noting her expression.

Her hands were stuck at her hips, “Have you taken my blue jumper? You know, my FAVOURITE blue jumper?”

She was obviously very attached to her jumper.

“Nope, but I think Matilda did,” I tell her, laughing slightly.

At that moment, in walked Matilda, Sofia’s large pet cat who looks more like a furry, meowing bath mat. Draped over her back was Sofia’s beloved jumped, which slid off when the cat leapt onto my bed to inspect my suitcase.

Forgetting about my temperamental older cousin and her best friend ringing me every evening to ask how amazing it is in Marbella, it was the best holiday ever.

There was only really one bad part.

The week had gone smoothly so far otherwise. We arrived at Simon’s Villa and met Sinitta there too, and quickly each group got started on perfecting their acts for later that week.

All I had to do was make sure they were behaving and rehearsing, which they all did up until the morning of their performances. Most people were relaxing on the beach, cooling off and calming down. It was never my intention to join them, but then I met One Direction in the hallway when I was heading back to my room after breakfast.

“Cassie! You not coming to the beach?” Harry had asked as I passed him.

“Er, maybe later…?” I mumbled. The boys all demanded that I join them. Harry even grabbed my arm to pull me with them, which resulted in me falling once again into his arms.

“Jeez! You see, this is why I shouldn’t hang around with you, Harry Styles! I always get injured,” I laughed as I stood upright again.

“Actually, you nearly get injured. If I weren’t here, you’d have fallen flat on your face. So…coming to the beach?” he grinned. Behind him all the other boys adopted wide, pleading (and rather frightening) grins too.

I gave in and let the boys lead me to the beach, chatting as we went.

At first it was great fun, we were all paddling in the water and splashing about. The other groups were there too, on lilos in the shallows or just jumping through the waves. Craig and Josef of Diva Fever, however, were constantly sat baking in the sun. 

“EEK! HARRY!” you would hear me scream every now and then when Harry, sometimes assisted by Niall, would pick me up and throw me into the waves. They would all laugh as I rose back to the surface with my hair plastered to my cheeks. In return, when they were stood far enough out that we could still touch the sand I would pull their ankles or kick the back of their knees, causing them to topple over.

Later on wasn’t as good, though. I had just sat back down on my sun bed when I heard the boys laughing and shouting in the sea. I looked over to see Louis hopping out of the water with the other boys following. Something didn’t look right.

The camera guys swooped in on them, and the boys gladly smiled and laughed at Louis’ now swollen foot. I wasn’t happy, however.

“Oh, God, it looks like you’ve been stung!” I had exclaimed, pushing the camera guys out of the way and pulling my phone from the depths of my bag to call and ambulance.

Thankfully the woman on the emergency line could talk English very well, so I quickly informed her of our situation and within minutes Louis, a camera man and I were on our way to the hospital.

The doctors said it was a sea urchin. Louis was treated quickly and well, but I could tell he just wanted to get back to the villa and his band mates. I was told that the doctors didn’t know when Louis could go back. I was so stressed.

“Do you think I’ll be back in time for our performance?” Louis had questioned sadly, his blue eyes already full of apologies.

“Yeah, of course! And if not I’m sure Simon will let you reschedule.” I wasn’t sure of this, however, so I ran around the corner to call him when Louis had been taken back to the doctor.

“I guess I’ll have to,” Simon had sighed. I could hear no sign of reluctance in his voice, so he really must’ve liked these guys.

My stress vanished once we were back at the villa. Louis was back with plenty of time to spare, but I was running late. I was supposed to collect each act and take them to see Simon and Sinitta – I had three minutes.

I rushed around for about fifteen minutes, barely stopping for breath. It was when I was casually strolling down a corridor looking for One Direction that I made a very stupid mistake.

I was relieved when I saw Harry emerge from a door at the far end of the corridor.

“Harry! Harry, could you get the rest of One Direction together? You need to go in about five minutes.”

“Sure,” he had said smiling and turning back down the corridor. Seconds after, he turned back and called to me, “Hey, erm, can you do something for me first?”

“Depending…” I answered sceptically, “What do you want?”

He hesitated for a moment, “I was hoping for a kiss good luck…” he smiled sweetly at me, inching closer with every second.

I admit, I was slightly taken aback. A normal person’s reaction would have been “HELL YES!” but I’m not normal, apparently.

Instead, I giggled. I basically laughed at Harry and walked around him, asking a bit too loudly, “So which room were the boys in?”

I could’ve killed myself.

Harry ran ahead of me and brought the boys out of a room and running into the corridor. Niall and Liam were jumping around the corridor in excitement and Zayn was propping Louis up so he could walk. Harry helped Louis and Zayn and they all followed me onto the terrace.

All the way there, Harry looked fine. He was talking to the boys, helping Louis walk on his own and generally being Harry. What kind of an idiot was I?!

It was odd that Harry never mentioned it again. Even on days where the group got through after the live shows, there was never another time…though sometimes I thought there would be. We’d all be so happy and I was normally the first person they see, so several times when the doors flew open Harry ran straight at me. Nothing ever happened, though, because seconds later we were engulfed by four other boys.

And now I live with them all in London. That moment has still never resurfaced – I don’t think he even mentioned it to the boys. Some part of me is always hoping that somehow he’ll mention it again, though. Maybe one time when we’re curled up on the couch together with a bowl of popcorn watching Britain’s Got Talent?

Maybe not.

A girl can dream, can’t she?