Chapter 16 (Part 1)

NOTE: This chapter is split into two parts because it would be about 6 pages long if I did it all together. So this is the first part, and the second part will be coming your way tomorrow!

--------------------------------

Brooke's parents' summer cabin was situated on a fresh water lake around thirty miles away from Serenity Falls, in a quiet, picturesque area full of wildlife and with no residential disturbances. The lake was large and clean, and gave good opportunities for water sports which Brooke's parents had taken advantage of. The wood cabin was held up on stilts over the lake, with a large deck balcony complete with a hot tub, barbeque and sufficient outdoor seats. Indoors, the five-bedroom cabin was open and spacious, and the reception rooms' all-round large windows gave great views of the lake and surrounding wood.

Normally, the cabin was a pleasant, relaxing place offering an almost serene atmosphere, but when the place was filled with over a hundred sixteen year old students and a seemingly endless supply of alcohol, it was quite different.

The deafening noise of the music could be heard even as Chelsie and Olivia pulled up in Chelsie's dad's car, quite a way away from the actual cabin.

"Thanks for the ride, Dad," Chelsie said, attempting to hop out of the car in the most dignified way possible in her short black designer dress.

"Yeah, thanks," Olivia called, as she too joined Chelsie at the side of the road. Her outfit was not the most comfortable in the world – after all, Alyssa had helped her choose it and comfort was not her biggest concern – but even Olivia knew that she looked good in it. The low cut black dress was tight in all the right places, and sparkled as the light caught the glitter detailing on the neckline. It had cost a fortune, light years out of Olivia's usual budget, and it wasn't difficult to tell this, as it radiated expense from every angle.

"Oh my God, you look like Alyssa," Chelsie grinned at her, as she caught sight of Olivia's dress in its entirety.

"As long as I just look, and not act like her," Olivia answered, glancing down at herself and trying to inspect her appearance.

The walk up to the lake was somewhat cold, given the time of year, and by the time the cabin came into view Olivia had goose bumps on her bare arms. Despite the low temperature, the outside deck of the cabin was heaving with people, some dancing, some getting fresh air and others messing around in their drunken state, trying to balance on the bar that separated the deck from the water below.

"I'm guessing some people arrived early," Olivia said, as she climbed the steps leading to the door of the cabin.

Inside, the room was so full of people it was extremely difficult to find a space to stand, let alone move. Even though the party had only officially just begun, the cabin was already trashed. The paintings on the wall (which looked insanely expensive) were splashed with alcohol, causing some of the colours of the paint to run. The expensive Persian rug on the floor was creased and covered in muddy footprints. A china ornament which once stood on the mantelpiece now lay on the floor, broken into pieces. Even one of the huge patio windows that boasted stunning views of the lake was cracked in the centre, threatening to crumble and smash completely under the slightest pressure.

The music and the sheer volume of people inside was causing the entire cabin to vibrate and the noise made it impossible to think, let alone speak, in the room.

"Is there anyone even sober in this room?" Olivia shouted in Chelsie’s ear, as she watched some guy she didn’t recognise trip over his own feet and end up rolling around, laughing hysterically on the floor.

"Not now!" Chelsie answered her, smiling, as she grabbed two bottles from one of the boxes on the drinks table and passed one to Olivia. "A toast – to this week being over!"

Olivia held up her drink, grinned and lifted the bottle to her lips.

***

"Come on, baby." Courtney stroked the side of his cheek and smiled. "We want to be together, so… let’s."

She drew herself closer, tilting her head slightly as she leaned in to kiss him. Their lips touched, almost bonded together and she began to slide her hands slowly down his back, but seconds after the kiss had begun, he pulled away.

"Look, I’m sorry babe, but we can’t do this here," Carter said, breaking away from Courtney’s grasp and looking around him nervously to check who was around. The couple were stood on the outside deck of the cabin, round the corner where they were out of sight to most people, but it was not unlikely that someone would discover them at some point.

Courtney pouted, her shiny pink lips glistening in the light. "Please? We never get any time together."

"I told you, it’s too risky. Alyssa would kill both of us if she knew about this. I’m sorry, but we have to wait a while – at the very least until after I’ve broken up with her."

Courtney folded her arms. "And when are you going to do that? You were supposed to be ending things weeks ago, ever since we first started seeing each other. But here we are, still in the same position, trying to sneak around in secret in the few moments when Alyssa’s not around."

"It’s not fun for me either. I’m the one who has to put up with her whining in my ear all the time, telling me that I’m boring and that I don’t appreciate her enough," Carter grunted.

"Yeah, well I’m the one who has to comfort her when she’s crying about how you’re going off her and how you don’t love her anymore! You ever thought about that, Carter?"

"Look, I’m working on it, I told you!" Carter snapped suddenly, his voice raised. He looked around nervously, checking to see if anyone had heard his outburst, then sighed. "I know this sucks, alright? But I’ll break up with her as soon as I can, when the timing’s right." He placed a hand on Courtney’s bare arm, and planted a gentle kiss on her glossy lips. "I promise you, babe. It’ll work out in the end. Okay?"

"Okay, I guess," Courtney sighed. "But break up with her soon."

"I will, babe," he smiled at her, then rolled his eyes. "Now, I’ve got to go back and find that controlling bitch."