~Two~

The presence filled the air as I was walking through the dark cold alley. I looked around and found that there was nothing around me except for some trash laying on the floor and a cat somewhere in the shadows of the night, meowing.

        Suddenly, I heard some footsteps approaching, getting closer by the minute. I could start running, but if I ran, he would know that I was scared. My heart was beating so fast, my breathing sped up. I was scared, oh God how much I was scared, terrified even.

        I inhaled deeply, holding onto my purse tightly. I had to make a decision before it was too late. So I bolted, running as fast as I could. But as I thought I was getting away, I suddenly came to a stop, a hand holding me back by my hair. That's when I knew he had caught me...

____________

        I woke with a start the next day, heavily breathing, trying desperately not to lose my mind. I'm safe, I'm safe. He's not here right now, he's not here. I could never get rid of this dream.

        Every time it happened, I would wake up and my body would be drenched in sweat. It hasn't gotten better yet, and I didn't think it ever would.

          The ringing of my cell phone startled me, coming from the nightstand where I usually kept it at night. I passed a hand on my forehead to wipe away the excessive sweat and then stretched my hand to grab my phone.

         "Hello?" I answered, closing my eyes to protect them from the sunshine peaking through my window shades.

         "Hello, may I speak to Eva Chambers, please?" A feminine voice resonated through the line.

        "Yeah, that's me." I answered, still a bit dazed from waking with a scare, still trying to calm myself internally.

         "Hi, Miss. Chambers, I'm sorry to bother you, I'm calling from Frederick Halter's office and Mr. Halter was just wondering if you had time to meet up?" She asked. And for some reasons, I burst out laughing.

       "I'm sorry, Me? Frederick Halter wants to see ME?" I asked, completely flabbergasted, not fully believing what I was hearing. Maybe I was still dreaming?

       "Yes, ma'am, that's right." She answered patiently.

      "Holy shiz!" I laughed into the phone. Regretting my words the moment they were out.
         "Does ten o'clock work for you?"

       "Y-yeah, yeah, it_" I  cleared out my throat. "it's great."  I was ready for someone to pop out of my closet with a big gotcha.

       That never happened.

        "Okay, great, so I have you down for ten o'clock today. Your name should be on the visitor list upon your arrival." She informed me. I could hear clicking noises in the background as if she was using her computer.

        "Thank you!" I could have sworn she heard the smile in my voice. I was going to meet Frederick Halter.

          Holy mother!

          "Great, then we'll see you soon." And with that, she ended the call.

        I couldn't remember how long I zoned out with the phone still held to my ear until I snapped out of it  when I realized I only had two hours to get ready and get there.

___________________

          The image on the dark screen of my phone stared back at me as I sat nervously in the quiet, empty, waiting area of Frederick Halter's office.