~Fifteen~

"Come here and lie down." Frederick patted the empty space next him on my new cream sofa I had ordered for my self, when Mrs. Winslet and I moved in. I looked at him, perplexed. I had no idea where he was going with this.

       I hadn't minded that he showed up to my place uninvited, only to call once he was downstairs so that I could buzz him in. He had brought me lunch and I had been hungry. I also didn't mind, though I thought it was awkward and slightly uncomfortable, when he was staring at me intently while I ate.

         But now, this was a little too strange. "What? Why?" I asked, as placed the last plate in the dishwasher then I dried my hands on the kitchen towel before starting the dishwasher.

        "Because I figured I'd start talking to the baby now. Establish connection." He gestured for to come to him.

         I was hesitant but still made my way to him. Yet again, that was proof of how much impact this man has had on my life so far in such a short time. It took three short months for him to break open some of the chains guarding me.

       "Okay."

      "I heard it was good for the baby to hear his parents' voice. And in this case, that would be me." He explained. I stood in front of him awkwardly. "I won't bite, Eva." he joked.

          "I know."

        "May I?" He grabbed my hand and gently pulled me down on the couch next to him. I tired not to show how nervous I was. "Lie down for me." He whispered softly as he moved to give me the space that I needed. I complied.

      "I don't want to rain on your parade; but isn't it a bit too early for this? After all I'm only six weeks pregnant."

       His voice was soft and calm, like an afternoon breeze in the fall."It's never too early. I want the baby to know exactly who I am." He waited for me to get comfortable. "I'm going to put my head on you. Is that okay?"

         "Yes." I breathed out, my heart thuddind in my chest, my palms already a little sweaty.

         I held in my breath for a second. "What do you want to say?" I whispered, my breath seemingly caught in my throat. Not knowing what else to say and where to put my hands, I waited. Everything just felt a bit uncomfortable. Things shouldn't feel intimate. Yet somehow, it was.

           I felt him shrug. "I don't know. I don't think I have anything specific to say, I guess just talking would do it."

       The past two weeks since we learned of the pregnancy had been such an eye opener. Frederick had been super attentive to me, which was great, but I somehow couldn't shake the feeling that this was not normal. Yet, I pushed it away and enjoyed the fact that life was decent for once.

       Frederick and I were getting along and becoming friends. That was a good thing. The more time passed, the more I felt like I made the best decision.

        I chewed on my bottom lip and tentatively placed my hand, ever so gently on his head, before quickly removing it.

        "It's okay to touch me." He said. Surely a response to my act. I cleared my throat, a little embarrassed to have gotten caught. I watched his head rise and fall with every breath I took. I was really tempted to run my fingers in his hair and feel how soft it was.

        Unfortunately for me, or rather fortunately because this was a very dangerous thought, Mrs. Winslet decided to walk in on us from her bedroom, the moment I had finally talked myself into it.

          "Hey guys." She walked slowly to join us in the living room. Frederick got up. "What are you doing?" She took a seat. Fluffy wasn't far behind.