"Slipping out from under who i am"

*Song title and lyrics from the band Skillet. *

~THE FALL

~

<Percy pov>

Let me explain, I have no idea how we got into this situation in the first place but well...

I'd never seen a flying goat. But now, Grover was flying hooves over heels down the dark cavern that most certainly had certain death waiting at its end.

The cursed winged shoes were much too fast for me and Annabeth to keep up with and all you heard was the "SMACK SMACK SMACK" of our tennis shoes hitting the slick black rocks and the thump of my backpack hitting my back. It felt so much heavier now..

I silently cursed Luke in my head. We would never finish our quest now if we fell. I'd never see my mom again.

No, I shook my head and pumped my arms faster.

Focus on Grover focus on Grover you'll finish your quest of you focus on one thing at a time, I tried to tell my adhd.

Annabeth and I ran harder.

I knew our efforts were futile. He was much too far ahead from us and we were running full speed. I already had a stitch in my side and Annabeth was bent over slightly from cramps.

"We're, coming, Grover," she puffed. "Won't... Let you.. F-fall."

"Help me!" Grover called out. Desperation laced his words and panic broke them at the ends. We wouldn't reach him at this rate.

Jagged rocks ricocheted off the interior walls of the cave from his flailing arms and Annabeth and I didn't have any time to waste by ducking. Annabeth sported a long cut across her cheek already. I was pretty sure I got hit above the eye.

My mind began to taunt me.

This is all my fault, I'm going to fail my first quest because of some stupid shoes.

No, because some stupid gods couldn't pay attention to their kids.

My throat began to burn and my eyes stung with anger. I couldn't accept that, no matter how close to the truth it may be.

Sweat dripped down my face and my hair flew back. My chest burned and I wished for water so bad. The air was as dry as sandpaper and my throat was closing. Annabeth made gasping noises, from panic or exhaustion, I don't know.

Annabeth reached desperately for the flying G-man but it was no use. We'd never reach him. The voice at the back of my mind whispered it and I had begun to accept it. Besides, we were getting to close to the edge. If we kept going we were all going to die.

I wouldn't let that happen. I couldn't.

"Grover, try to slow down!" I screamed. "Kick off the shoes with the rocks."

"Don't you think I'm trying- woahOH,!" He managed to kick one of the devilish shoes off. It bounced harmlessly against the obsidian stone and I ducked under it. I was surprised at the sudden positive turn around. Even before realizing I was a demigod, luck never seemed to be on my side.