Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

*Behind the Scenes*

There are many things that run through a person's mind when one is about to experience a near death event. Thoughts and memories flash through; some mourn the prospect of "what could have been", while others regret that all their aspirations will never become a reality as they near the end.

Falling forward from my place at the top rung of the ten foot wooden ladder I had been using, I really couldn't find much space in my hyperventilating mind to think past my initial thought of: "Ahhhh!"

Which brings me to my next topic, there are many things a person learns about them self when falling off a ladder. I for one, learned having the left side of your body have an unexpected meeting with the stage floor is very, very painful. I knew the stability of a creaky, wooden ladder, was of questionable condition. I knew it. My confirmed suspicions aside, I focused on first clearing my head from the dizzy feeling that often accompanies free falling from a great height, before addressing my battered side.

"Taryn?!" Beth's olive green eyes looked down at me with concern, her hand poised to help. "Taryn can you hear me? Oh no, what if the fall knocked out her sense of sound? Taryn, it's okay. I can learn sign language." Beth fretted beside me, loudly enunciating each word, which, since I had not lost me hearing thank God, made my head spin.

"Someone call the nurse!" She ordered.

"No!" I rapidly sat up, ignoring the stinging pain shooting through my left shoulder. Wincing from the sharp discomfort, I acutely became aware of the large crowd of drama students circling me. "Really, I'm fine." I assured the group, sitting up and nodding vigorously to appease their concerns.

"She's okay!" A person from the group confirmed, the sentence was repeated to one of the managers who announced it through his megaphone, effectively dispersing the group.

"Help me please." I quietly asked Beth who complied by pulling me up and wrapping my right arm around her shoulder so I could hop the rest of myself backstage. I let out a strangled groan when she tugged on my left arm, earning a sympathetic 'sorry' from Beth. "Remind me again why you're torturing yourself and not going to the nurse like a sane person?" She asked as I limped forward at the pitiful pace of a snail.

I blew away strands of my golden-blond hair as I adjusted my stance. "Let's just say that after two falls, several scrapes, minor cuts and four ice packs within a month—we're not exactly on good terms." I explained sheepishly. I believe her words just yesterday were something along the lines of sticking me in a plastic bubble if I came back sooner than a week.

"You need to be more careful." Beth decided as we wove through the practicing crew members toward backstage. Before I could respond that I indeed was careful, and just happened to be caught in the most unfortunate situations, I was cut off by a heavily French accented voice. "Taryn! Taryn—s'il vous plaît—arrêtez!" I briefly considered making a run for it, though judging by my temporary impairment, that wouldn't work out so well. The owner of the voice came running up to us dressed in a classy black pantsuit, pearls and just the right amount of red lipstick, none other than the drama teacher, Ms. Diane.

"Oh, hey Ms. Diane—" I began, only to be cut off with a surprisingly firm hug. Ms. Diane pulled away to study me at an arms length, no doubt checking for any sign of ER classified injury.

"Taryn are you okay?" She finally asked to which I nodded with a weak smile. Taking this as a sign that my limbs were intact and attached to my body, Ms. Diane clucked her tongue disapprovingly, "Taryn zat was zee third fall zis month-I'm beginning to worry zat you'll get a concussion by zee end of zee musical. No more working on Kate's house, okay?" She ordered.