CHAPTER 3: Dinner

When I got home I through my bag onto the floor and fell onto my bed groaning, first day and already had too much work, I had to catch up everything. After about 10 minutes Lauran called me down to come eat, it was a big bean salad and some of cause bread and cheese. Donna was out working and Gustaph was playing pool out at a friend’s house. So it was just Lauran and I.

‘Sweetie, can you help me pick lavender today?’ Lauran asked.

I knew I had lots of work to catch up but seemed like I had to say yes, ‘Yeah sure.’

‘Thanks honey,’ she said passing me a roll.

After I helped wash up we headed outside with some clippers.

‘You see, if you clip them at when the stem is already hard, they don’t wilt as easily,’ Lauran said.

‘Okay cool,’ I said starting to cut lavender.

We spend a few hours talking and picking lavender till Gustaph came home, he had a thick beard and wore faded jeans and a jacket. He came n gave Lauran a kiss and me a hug. Then he took over my job and I went upstairs to work.

Wow life was hard now. I had to catch up three models for maths, and like half a text book for science.

I woke up with Donna shaking me, ‘Honey, you fell asleep, its dinner time.’

I followed her down stairs to the table, there was steaming potatoes, cheese and a salad. Surprisingly no bread.

‘So how was school?’ Gustaph asked me.

I smiled and swallowed my food, ‘It was great! I think I made three new friends already. They are pretty awesome; there is Ava, Lily and Sam. They help me find my way around the school!’

Had I just said al that?

‘That’s great,’ Donna said, ‘They are great girls, you should invite them over on Friday to sleep over if you want.’

I smiled at her, I felt like this was my family, well it was but at first I wasn’t sure if they would be able to replace them properly.

‘So how was your day?’ I asked everyone.

‘Well I sold out today and had to make extra batches, which is always good,’ said Donna.

‘Oh, well done,’ said Lauran, ‘Well Emily here helped me pick lavender today.’

I smiled shyly.

‘I went to play pool at bobs house,’ Gustaph said, ‘Won again.’

‘Whens Bob coming over again dear?’ Lauran asked.

This family was quiet posh…

I think…

‘I don’t know Lauran, I don’t think he can leave Sheba alone, she might have to be put down soon,’ Gustaph said taking a bit of his food, ‘He might not show it but he’s very sad, she has been his companion.’

‘Owe, that’s so sad,’ Donna said.

I just sat her and listen to the family talk about their day.

After dinner I helped Donna wash up and clear the table.

‘You know Lauran has always wanted someone young to help her pick Lavender, she’s truly grateful,’ Donna said.

‘Thanks,’ I said drying a plate and packing it away.

‘Now, go sleep, you looked totally exhausted at dinner,’ Donna said like a real mother, ‘don’t work too hard, okay?’

She gave me a hug good night then I walked into the living room and said good night to Gustaph and Lauran who was busy playing cards sitting on the old couches.

After that I went upstairs and got dressed into my PJs and slid into bed.