Song of Hope - Chapter 16

Chapter 16

The first Friday in June, everything was in place. All the details had been taken care of and tomorrow Sydney would marry the man that she loved. But something bigger was weighing in her thoughts and Austin could tell.

They had already had the rehearsal and the dinner with friends and family, Lacey went home with Austin’s parents and their guests Tucker and Emma Sue.

Sydney’s apartment had been packed up and most of her belongings were already in their new home in Tennessee. They had found a house that was move in ready which was situated on three acres. The previous owners had built the five bedroom cabin on the top of a mountain as a retreat, but with the economy in the decline, had decided to sell. Most of the furnishings were included and Lacey not only had a playroom for her mountain of toys, but Austin also had a game room with a pool table which was included.

Everything was ready for them to return from their honeymoon in Europe. Austin had planned ten days touring France, Italy and Spain. Austin’s parents and the Granger’s were going to take Lacey to Disney World while the couple was honeymooning so she would not miss them so much.

Lacey had become Sydney’s shadow whenever they were together. And Sydney loved it. She had loved the little girl from the moment she met her back in November. But, this was also what fed her fears today.

Sydney had been staying at her father’s house for the past week, when she was in town and getting ready for the wedding. After the rehearsal dinner, Austin and Sydney sat in the living room spending a few more moments as an unmarried couple talking. Austin knew something was bothering her, but couldn’t put his finger on it. He thought it might be nerves and cold feet. Unable to take it any more, he decided to ask.

They were sitting on the sofa and Sydney’s back was leaning on Austin’s chest. His arm was wrapped around her playing with the fingers on her left hand, thinking that tomorrow the wedding band will rest just above her engagement ring. Softly he said, “Syd, if you want to back out, please tell me now. I know I am not Paul and I know you loved him,” Sydney turned abruptly and looked at him, narrowing her eyes as he spoke, “and I understand that we have known each other only eight months, this has moved very fast, but...”

Sydney placed her hands over his lips, “What? What are you talking about? I love you. I knew that day at Paul and Millie’s wedding that you were different and I liked you right away. So, why are you saying you are not Paul? I am glad you are not. I love you, I was infatuated with him.”

Through Sydney’s fingers he tried to say, “But I know...”

“I love you, that is all you need to know and I can’t wait until tomorrow to pledge my love to you.” Sydney said as she removed her hands, leaning in and placing her lips on his.

A few minutes later when she pulled away he said, “I love you too, and I want you to know that Sonya will always have a place in my heart, she was my first love and she gave me Lacey. But you, you have my heart in the palm of your hand. I give it to you freely and with all my love.”

Sydney smiled up at him then turned and leaned back against his chest again as she said, “I know and I have known that for a long time. You show me in your actions, in the way you treat me and love me and kiss me. The way you look at me tells me there is no other. And I know you will always love Sonya, but I am glad you allowed a place for our love to grow.”

Taking a deep breath he said, “Well, I am glad you know that, but then what’s been bothering you? Is it stress from the wedding? Are you worried about the wedding night?”

Sydney laughed, “I have waited almost thirty years for my wedding and wedding night. No, that does not worry me.”

“Then please tell me,” Austin said as he ran his fingers up and down her arm raising chill bumps on her smooth skin.