Song of Hope - Chapter 11

Chapter 11

The snow was finally melting on the ground. What was beautiful just a few days ago when it was falling, looked like a sludgy mess today. Tinted black from the road debris and salt sand mixture, it looked more like a black licorice slushy than fallen snow.

Sitting in his office looking out the window, Austin’s mind raced back to two days ago and his conversation with Sydney. It hurt to hear her talk about Sonya like that, but she was right, he was carrying her around. He needed to release her and move on with his life.

Sydney wouldn’t pick up her phone or answer email the other day, he needed to see her, touch her, kiss her and let her know that she meant the world do him.

He wanted to do that the day of the phone conversation, but snow had closed many of the roads between them and he would have just been stranded on the side of the road.

There was a knock on the door that snapped Austin back into the present. Looking up, Austin thought he was dreaming.

“Sydney? What are you doing here?” Austin said as he jumped to his feet to go and great her, touch her, hold her like he wanted

“I couldn’t do this over the phone. I am so sorry. I shouldn’t have said those things about Sonya. I know you love her, it was hard for me to hear those things and hard to watch you walk away. I was angry and upset and I’m just sorry.”

Austin was now standing in front of Sydney, looked at her, he slowly trailed his hands down her arms to hold her hands and said, “I’m sorry too! I should have never walked away from you. It shouldn’t have taken me two weeks to realize I have feelings for you.”

Sydney looked down at her hands entwined with his, “Austin, I can’t do this again. I can’t fall in love with someone and they tell me they only want to be friends. If that is the case, I will turn around and head home right now and never see you again.”

Moving his hand to Sydney’s shoulders and Austin said, “I don’t want you to leave.”

Austin pulled her close, wrapped his arms around her. Lowered his face into her neck as he hugged her, inhaling the smell he knew as Sydney’s, a little vanilla and roses. He had missed this smell so much over the past two weeks. He pulled away, only enough to lower his lips onto hers.

The kiss began slow and sweet, tender and loving, then grew into a kiss that showed each other how they felt, the words they had failed to say: devotion, worship, respect, longing, lust, passion and love. Yes, they loved each other and there was no turning back.

Separating and breathing in short irregular spurts, Austin lowered his forehead to Sydney’s and said, “I love you and I am so sorry.”

“I am sorry too. And I do love you.”

“I was about to leave to go and pick up Lacey.” Austin said as he pulled away. “Um. She stays with my mother-in-law Emma Sue. Would you come with me? It just means you will need to meet them. Tucker’s already left for the day, so he is there too.”

“How will that go over?” Sydney looked up at him wondering how his in-laws would feel about them dating. Would they resent her because she was replacing Sonya in their eyes?

“Since it was Tucker who told me I was foolish to let anyone who could fall in love with me get away, I think they will love you.” With the smile Austin was giving her, how could she doubt him.

******

Tucker and Emma Sue lived only a couple miles away and it took only a few minutes to get to their home. Austin suggested leaving Sydney’s car at the office and picking it up later. As they were heading out Austin dialed Tucker on his cell phone to let him know he was bringing a guest.