Chapter 25.1: The Port Town of Umi

Ellie

The seaside town of Umi was not particularly large. It was a port of call for many ships passing through to the giant port of Taiyou, where most of the important vessels came from. Because it normally received little traffic from large vessels, the port town doubled as a fishing port and most of the residents were either fishermen or crew that was there to rest for a few days.

The relative anonymity of this port of call also made it a safe haven for pirates, would-be adventurers, or fugitives looking to hide from the long arm of the Taiyou-Shi Police. Umi had one law alone. Do not disturb the peace. As long as everyone got along, no one cared or asked about each other's past. All were welcome in the seaside port, and this was good for business.

Ellie scurried about frantically, busing tables, carrying pitchers of ale at Izakaya, the local watering hole. She was breathing heavily, huffing and puffing as she went around the room. They were short-handed as always. These days, she could hardly get a break. Of late, the normally quiet town had been receiving a significant and steady amount of traffic from several vessels. No doubt the increased shipment and growing demand from the desert of empire of Yin was fueling a bustling economy that had sprung up suddenly all around the port town.

Ellie knew little of complex politics and wars. But she knew that wars could be good for business. When entire governments spent money, there were several parties that benefited greatly from the expenditure. Of course, none of the common folk saw any of those GEUs, but she was still fascinated by the complexity of it all. At the end of her shift, she often saw at least three to five GEUs more per table served, and that was more than enough to buy a great meal or two at her favorite restaurant at the end of the week. Nevermind that she had yet to find a boyfriend two years after she had bade the last one goodbye.

She had a forlorn thought just now. Was she working too hard? Spending so much time earning her daily bread that she had lost time for love? She knew she was still attractive, what with all the customers that hit on her with regularity. Yes, being pretty had its perks, and beauty could be lucrative. She would take their tips and favors but they would never have her heart. That was reserved for the right one.

Still, Ellie wondered if the right one would be lurking in the dark taverns of this port town. She probably ought to find a way to get out of town and embark on a search for the love of her life. She sighed and took a swig of ale from her mug. She was probably getting fat from all the free drinks she got at the Izakaya. But boy, did the drink help her forget her misery. The customers always seemed happier and more cheerful once she had taken a few swigs of her favorite brew.

None of the bartenders seemed to mind, anyway. Matter of fact, some of those boys weren't too opposed to Ellie taking a sip or two. Perhaps she would be less guarded that way.

Ellie took in the scene before her. It was only about an hour or so before the tavern would be filled to capacity. Smoke hung in the air like a tired presence. If there was anything about the Izakaya that bothered Ellie, it was the smoke from the open hearth. It made its presence felt the moment one walked in, enveloping everything. Thank god for the food and drink.

The regulars were already there. In the darkness she could make out Thomas, always there well before anyone else. Izu, the old gentleman who worked at the port, was there for his nightly ale that he would nurse for two entire hours, but Ellie didn't care because he tipped her more than four times what the ale cost. She had the odd notion that the old gentleman was paying more to see her than anything else, but she didn't mind much because Izu had always been ever the gentleman. Drig sat at his usual corner, puffing up clouds of smoke from his enormous pipe, pausing only occasionally for the odd cough here and there and to clear his throat. He did that every time he had to say something, which wasn't very often anyway, thankfully.

This particular night, the crowd was different than usual. Ellie had made it a point to make her rounds and talk to the regulars, keeping their drinks filled when they asked. She was polite and never pushed. It was Umi's way after all.

The door opened and an odd-looking group appeared. A woman entered at the head of the pack. Most of her body was covered by her dark cloak, and she was shrouded in mystery. Indeed, had Ellie not gotten a good look at her as she entered the dimly lit tavern, the light cast upon her face for a brief moment, she would not have known that the stranger was a woman. But Ellie saw. She beheld the beautiful, alabaster-like countenance. It was rare for a woman this beautiful to be this side of Taiyou. After all, nothing worth its salt ever ended up in Umi. They were all misfits, outcasts, rejects of society of some sort. This woman was more suited to the upper echelons of society, those that lived on Taiyou-Shi's Upper Plates.

Even more disconcerting however, was the group of four gentlemen who accompanied her. There was a strange aura that filled the Izakaya the moment they entered. It was a dark, disturbing feeling. In the two years that Ellie had worked at the Izakaya she had never felt uneasy. The people were strange, yes, but she had always felt easy with people. This felt different. Something in her gut bothered her. It was not the sense that told her 'flee!', as in fight or flight. It was vaguer than that. It asked, 'Is this evil?' but also said "No, this is just irrational." It was as if evil were masking its presence and she could no longer trust her senses.

Ellie decided that the men were not to be trifled with. She tried to cast them out of her mind by focusing on her tasks instead. The night was now in full swing and the Izakaya was packed.