Chapter 1.6: Taiyou-Shi, City of the Sun

"It is sad that the young man does not appear to to know history as well as the young lady obviously does," said a cold voice from behind them. Rough-handed security guards grabbed them and ripped away their masks.

"I don't think these two are authorized to be here. See to it that the sentries who let them through are punished accordingly."

Zentar and Felicia emerged from the darkness. Zentar was a bald man with stern, piering eyes and a full beard. At almost seven feet tall, he was an imposing tower of a human. The cloak he wore did a poor job of concealing his heavy-set physique. "Not very many know about Treaty 7745, and even fewer know enough about it to be so fearful."

Fala glared at him.

Zentar smiled, a menacing smile, as he slowly approached the defiant girl.

"You understand the full implications of this, don't you, young lady? How is it that you happen to know so much?"

Fala continued to glare at him, but remained silent.

Zentar's eyes widened. "She's typing a message on her communicator!"

Before she could finish typing her message, Fala felt dizzy and light-headed. A sharp, cutting sting came to her head, as if lightning had struck her very person. She barely had time to feel the pain. Blood seeped from her forehead as she felt her strength ebb away. She had been hit with a psychic attack of the highest order. She realized what had happened and what she had done to earn it. There was only one person in Taiyou with the power to deliver an attack of this magnitude. It had been Felicia Silverstath's doing.

"It is futile to resist, young lady." Zentar said as he watched Fala struggle. "There are very few people on Kuro who can survive a direct psychic attack from the Silver Witch."

For a brief moment, a strong sense of sadness filled her. She knew her life had come to an end and that there was nothing she could do to stop it. It was true that when the pain hit – white, searing, hot, both physical and emotional – it had been excruciating. But it was strangely momentary. She was surprised at how quickly it subsided. Part of her, the strong part, realized something. She had done something today. Her actions had furthered a cause. She had figured out the riddle that had troubled historians and scientists all this time. She had successfully solved the ages-old riddle of the disappearance of the Goddess, and though it was too late for either her or Gustav to do anything about it, she brought hope for the future. She hit send on her communicator at that moment, sending her message out into the world. It was now up to him, she thought.

"Drake, it's your turn to to save Kuro. You must understand the significance of what I sent you. I leave it in your hands."

Fala looked at Gustav who lay beside her. He had fallen to the ground at about the same time. His body had hit the ground with a sudden finality. Like Fala, he wasn't going to get back up.

"Fala, I love you." Gustav whispered the words softly.

Fala smiled and looked at him with regret. Her lips moved softly. "I know, Gustav, I've always known. I am sorry to have dragged you into this. If I had been a normal girl, we could have done so much more. Thank you, Gustav, and sorry."

Fala saw Gustav smile and close his eyes. Her own eyes blurred quickly as darkness took them both. Curiosity killed the cat after all.