Chapter 15.1: The Growing Darkness

"Do you need to rest?" Vannah asked.

A fire crackled in the caves, gently warming them all. Mykall had started one because they were all getting cold. Vannah had lost herself in her own tale. Mina could tell because the normally detached Vannah was full of emotion, full of memory, her eyes shining in the darkness.

Mina had stayed quiet since Vannah started her tale. She was captivated by the story, and the earnestness in which Vannah had told it, full of her own honesty.

Mykall shifted in his place, fidgeting with the sheath of the katana. The demon's presence was enough to unnerve anyone, and the warrior was not immune to it. It now sat there inanimate, filling the massive throne with its imposing figure. The aura of the demon was significant, its power undiminished, and yet very clearly it did not move, held in place by some mystic force.

"It makes you uneasy, warrior?" Vannah asked.

Mykall nodded.

"Rest easy. The demon, I have said it already, the demon is under my sway."

"How?" The warrior needed to know.

Vannah looked at both of them. "In due time. I am only halfway through the tale. Shall we rest and continue later?"

Mina shook her head emphatically. "I must hear the rest of it, Vannah. I must know what happened to you and Searra. Please continue."

Vannah looked at Mykall. The warrior nodded his head in agreement. He continued to glance sideways, watching the great demon, his hand never straying from his sword.

Vannah smiled, her eyes once again slits in the darkness. "Then I shall continue."

***

We returned to Talthys and Tengoku-ji, our souls weary. Searra hadn't spoken to me during the entire trip back. It was well-deserved. I had hidden from her how powerful I had become.

In a way, I had disrespected my sister by showing her such an extreme display of my power. Perhaps she was disappointed in herself as well for not having been able to improve as quickly as I had. She was hard to read. She kept her innermost thoughts to herself. I always found it fascinating how guarded she was of her true feelings.

When we arrived back at Talthys, it was raining again. It was as though the rain heralded our arrival, a precursor of misery, for it seemed that misery followed in our very footsteps. Lightning flashed and thunder rumbled softly as we made our way up to the temple. We were not welcomed as heroes. The majority of the order still did not know of our existence. Only the elites and the High Priestess knew of our mission.

The pitter-patter of the rain continued as we approached the temple's familiar gates. Our robes were soaked, our faces dripping. I felt the last of my strength ebb away as I saw our home loom before us. The Temple of Tengoku-Ji stood atop the the highest point of the cliffs of Hikari on the farthest point of the Amaya Peninsula, the turbulent waters of the Sea of Kaito behind it; an impregnable fortress. Built intentionally at the highest point, its natural surroundings and physical location made it easy to defend. An approach could be seen from miles away.

Our pace slowed as we approached the gates. We were cautious in our approach, unsure how the guards at the gate would respond should they perceive us as a threat. The priestess who kept watch at the gate recognized us as members of the order returning from a mission. She raised the gates and let us in. Upon entering the temple, Searra collapsed in exhaustion, falling off her horse, her armor clattering on the temple's stone floor, her hair a matted mess.

I was not long after her.

***

----------------------

Sorry for the short chapter today! I am phasing the chapters where there is a natural break in the storyline so as not to interrupt the flow. So, some days will have long updates and some days won't.

Hope you guys bear with me!