Chapter Six

The lines had only grown stronger, longer, and louder since Camp Triggerfish opened.

While there was no problem with the number of buses to the camp, the ushers standing at the foot of it had to deal with a different story. If one of them didn't let the next person in line battle immediately, all of them were to blame and were met with nothing but belittling and howls.

It wasn't like they were the only ones not enjoying the cacophony, either.

"It's not fair! First my test gets snowed out and we meet that-- Them at the restaurant, and they think I'm a wimp, then, when I actually do get to play in my first Turf War there's this frikin' line that'll take THREE DAYS to get through!"

Peppie clutched his new Tentatek Splattershot-- a newfangled, sponsored and upgraded version of the original weapon-- and vented to his sister as they attempted to weave through the cluster of lines.

Because of Peppie's hopeless behavior at the sight of the snow, Delpha had mostly conceded at attempting to help him. This was her last try, taking him out for the first Turf War day since the blizzard began, and should he give up, she would too.

The lines' movements progressively slowed to a sea snail. Hollers of "Let us in!" and screeches of "You're wasting our time!" became more frequent than ever. The more this happened, the more and more Peppie's impatience grew.

"It's no use, Delpha. Let's just go." He turned around to an empty bus.

Despite her brother's melancholy attitude, Delpha felt a surge of relief. Swinging the small gatling she took to fight with her across her shoulder, she followed him for hopes of a ride back to Inkopolis.

Peppie climbed onto the closest shuttle in his reach, limply holding his own weapon as if he was on his phone late at night and couldn't bear to stay up any longer. It certainly didn't prepare him for the driver leaping out of the bus and knocking him over.

"Oh, gosh! That's my daughter!"

From his fallen point on the ground, Peppie's eyes widened.

Two girls arose from the water. The first was sputtering, barely able to speak, clothes and Splat Charger waterlogged. As soon as her feet hit the surface, the girl collapsed and with her came down the other teen in her arms. The latter was nothing more than a lost cause.

Only one person had the audacity to move, the bus driver. He sprinted over to the girl with the Splat Charger.

The crowds stood in silence, a cell phone here or there occasionally beeping.

The bus driver noticed heads in the lines diverting from the girl who had drowned, instead focusing on a small child at the chest of her soaked body. Pushing up and down, he attempted to force the water out of her.

"Peps, what are you doing!?" another voice called from the commotion. A skinny inkling of eighteen pushed through to the front, her face caught in a mask of disbelief.

Peppie gave no answer. He just kept humming and pushing on the girl's chest.

"You don't know what you're doing!" Delpha ran up and kneeled next to Peppie, having no choice but to shove him aside. "If you keep at it like that, you're going to kill her!"

Locking her hands together first, she placed them on the body with care, something her brother neglected to do. Then, she started to pushed on the diaphragm in a consistent rhythm. Not far away, the other girl was stirring to her senses as the bus driver, a sand crab, took care of her.

"Sh... shhh... calm, Sankra, honey, calm. What happened?"

"I can't--- she--- she fell so quickly---" Sankra found it impossible to string her words together, but even with her stutters made it clear what happened.

Delpha, despite the precautions she took, made little, if any progress at bringing the other girl back to life.

Peppie was awestruck, sitting there not having a clue as to what to do.

Sirens flared in the distance.