Chapter Five

Sorry for the long wait, enjoy ! (:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter Five

          Three and a half weeks had passed, and Eli’s brother was coming home later this week. Eli had told me about how they got along fairly well for siblings, but everything was always a competition.

          Eli’s grandma was pleased that we were ‘engaged’. She never shut up about it, ever.

          Eli and I were in the living room, watching TV. My head was in his lap, and he was playing with my hair absent mindedly, which was surprisingly soothing. His grandmother and parents walked in, joining us, and I sat up. Obviously something was up, and I needed to pay attention.

          “I’m going to be ninety-five in February, and who knows really how long I have left? I really want to see my grandson get married,” his grandma started.

          “So we were thinking, why not move the wedding up to January, while you guys are still at home? We’d be honored to cover all expenses, and then you could have your family fly down here and stay for the wedding,” his mother finished hopefully. Oh dear, what have we gotten into?

          “Actually--,” Eli started, and I knew he was going to come clean.

          “We’d love to,” I forced a smile, and they all smiled in response.

          “Fantastic! You’re going to have the best wedding ever!” his mother hugged me, and I smiled. I let out a small yawn, then realized how late it was.

          “You guys head on to bed. Now, don’t you wear out my future granddaughter!” his grandma warned, and we went upstairs. Eli shut the door behind us, and I could feel his anger.

          “Why did you say that?” he asked through his teeth.

          “Eli,” I said softly, “We’ll just get a divorce when it’s all over. It’s really hard to say no to them, Eli. Your family is amazing, they care so much.”

          “You’re sure you’re willing to commit to that? We’ll have to be married for a while or it will seem fishy,” he said.

          “Yeah, it’s not like you have to stay committed, you can still date other people and stuff,” I shrugged. I went in the bathroom and changed into some PJs, deciding I would take a shower in the morning. I laid down in the huge bed, and felt the bed dip down beside me as Eli laid down.

          “I-I wouldn’t cheat on you, even if we were just fake married,” I heard him mumble so softly I questioned whether or not he actually said it.