Chapter 7

My mother was packing for our trip. I kept going over what Ellie had told me. It’s not that I don’t want to find him. I can’t. It would never work would it? He lives in Ireland, and I live in America. We’d rarely see each other. I suppose there’s video chatting, or phone calls, but that’s not the same. Long distance almost never works out. I mean, the relationship between James and I is a prime example. No, how could I compare Ryan to James. I haven’t thought about James in a while. Every now and then he pops into my head, but I haven’t really thought about things in a long time. I wasn’t about to start thinking about that now. 

“What do you think? Does my checklist look complete?” My mom asked grinning. It’d been a while since I’d seen her this happy. 

“Hm?” I hadn’t really been paying attention to what she said. 

“Where are you?” She asked sarcastically. 

“Sorry, just thinking.” I replied smiling. 

“Ok. Oh Carrie, I can’t believe we’re actually going!” She sat down on the bed beside me. “It’s really amazing what John has done for us.” 

“I still can’t believe it either.” I said giggling. “I am really glad it’s with you though mom.” I hugged her. 

“Me too. We haven’t done anything like this together in a long time. I think the last time we went on a trip was to Florida.” She stopped herself. “I’m sorry sweetie, I didn’t mean to bring it up.” She kissed my forehead. 

“It’s alright mom, I was just thinking about him myself.” I didn’t really want to discuss this right now though. She got up and started looking through her closet more.

“Really? What for?” I guess we’re talking about this. 

“No reason really. Just thinking.” I hadn’t told her about Ryan. We weren’t dating, technically; and I didn’t feel like explaining everything to her.

“Ok, well have you met anyone? Not pushing you, just curious.” Just like my mom. She seems to have telepathic powers. I guess that’s what they call a mothers intuition. I also guess this would be a good time to tell her. 

“Well. Sorta.” I shrugged. She turned around grinning. 

“Sorta? Who is it?” She asked coming closer. 

“His name is Ryan.” I looked around the room. 

“Ryan huh? Ryan.” She was wondering about a last name. 

“Ryan O’Connor.” I said looking down. 

“Wow, he must have some Irish history in his family with that name!” She exclaimed. 

“Yeah.” I chuckled. “Especially when he hails from Ireland.” My mom shot me a look. I looked at her. 

“What?” She asked. 

“Well, he’s from Ireland.” I said sheepishly looking at her. 

“Why am I only hearing of him now?” She asked putting her hands on her hips. 

“Because we weren’t officially an item. We met 3 weeks ago, while he was on vacation.” 

“3 weeks ago? Why didn’t you tell me?” 

“Because, as I said, we weren’t an official item.” I stood up and went over to her dresser. 

“Where is he now then?” She asked grabbing some shoes from her closet. 

“He’s back in Ireland. He went home a week ago.” I recalled his plane taking off. 

“So, is he interested in you?” She asked out of pure curiosity.