Chapter 5

“Would you like to come out with me tomorrow night? I’m going to go sight seeing.” the question had come soon after dinner. I looked at Ellie who had a look on her face. A look of, the band aid, remember the band aid. 

“I’ll think about it.” I answered. C’mon Carrie, stay strong. You can’t get any closer with Ryan. It’s not going to work. Let it go. We cleared the dishes and he told us stories of when he was little in Ireland. 

“This one time, I got separated from my parents when we went to tour a castle. I spent a whole night there.” I looked at him questioningly. 

“You spent an entire night in an abandoned castle?” 

“Yes, the place was huge.” 

“You never heard them calling for you?” I asked skeptically. 

“Who said they were searching.” He sipped his coffee. 

“Oh come on.” I said still not believing it. 

“Fine. Can I borrow your computer?” He asked smiling. Couldn’t refuse the smile. I handed him my laptop. He was searching for about 10 minutes. 

“Ah, here it is.” He turned the lap top around. It was on a news page from Ireland. The year was 1996. The front headline was the first thing I saw. ‘Young boy spends night in Trim Castle.’ 

“Oh my gosh!” I gasped and read the story. 

“That would be why I never heard them. Until they finally searched the second half the next day.” He grinned. 

“I can’t believe that. Were you scared?” Ellie asked. 

“Of course I was scared, I was 6. I wasn’t sure if I’d ever be found.” He grinned. 

“Well, that certainly sounds like an adventure.” I said. 

“It was something alright.” I looked at the clock and it was midnight. 

“I should go.” He said standing up. “Thanks for the pleasant evening again. 

“It was our pleasure.” I said walking him to the elevator.

“So, site seeing tomorrow. In or out?” He asked whispering.

“I don’t know.” I said doubtingly. 

“Please.” He asked looking straight into my soul it felt like. Stay strong Carrie, the band aid!

“Why not.” I gave in.  

“I’ll pick you up at 7:30.” He smiled and got into the elevator. I smiled back and waved at him. The doors closed and I walked back to my apartment. I locked the door behind me and went to my room. 

“You really like him huh?” Ellie said standing in my door way with a cup of tea. 

“Understatement of the year.” I fell down onto my bed. “I don’t know what to do Ellie. He’s going back to Ireland who know’s when. I can’t allow myself to fall for him.” 

“It is way to late for that.” She sat down in my brown wicker chair. I rolled over so I was facing her. 

“I know!” I hit my head on the bed.

“At least tonight was it right?” She asked trying to sooth me. “Rip it off like a Band-aid? Get it over with?” 

“Um. About that.” I smiled guiltily. 

“What did you do?” Ellie smiled and hit me on the shoulder.

“Ow, I agreed to go out with him tomorrow night.” I hid my face.