The Other Side

The Other Side

              I walked into class late. I had been walking to school, and then that girl on the bike…that girl…she passed me. Out of all the people. Those blue eyes, the light pink lips that I remembered from my dreams. How they curled into smiles. How they brushed against my own. How they parted as she let out gasps and moans in my…less than innocent dreams. How could I forget that face?

                And there she was, watching me with shock as she passed by on her bike. I saw her lose control of her bike for a moment before turning back to look where she was going and stop herself from falling. I couldn’t help it. I couldn’t take that she was there. That she was real. That she was so close to me and I wanted her more than I ever had when she was just a dream. I wanted a girl.

                I ducked behind one of the cars parked in someone’s driveway and held my breath. I’m not allowed to want a girl. Dreams are one thing; you can’t control those, but this? No. You can’t want her. I told myself sternly as I waited, hoping to wait until she was far far away from me.

                Waiting there made me late for school. And then I had to get my schedule. And then find my class. Needless to say, I was very very late when I walked into my art class. They had already started some project, and there was a guy sitting alone by the door. No…girl, she had soft hands with careful fingers and…there was something about how she tilted her head and the way she held herself. Sure, she was boyish, manly even, but there was something about her…

                She’s the girl.

                I stood there awkwardly for a moment, just watching her hand move. I walked over to the other side of the table so I could see her better. Her eyebrows were furrowed in frustration as she drew, not even noticing I was there.

                She’s drawing eyes. Green eyes. They’re quite beautiful, but something seemed…familiar about them. I shook it off and cleared my throat. She looked up with a slightly angered expression, and then she saw me standing there, and all I saw was shock.

                I could help but feel warmth. I almost thought that she remembered the dreams too, but then I remembered that only I had the dreams. That is how dreams work after all. She probably remembered almost falling as she passed me or maybe it was shock that there was someone new here. I don’t know. “That’s really good.” I said with a smile. I hoped it didn’t look forced or fake or anything, but I didn’t think it was. I just couldn’t help but smile when I saw her.

                I saw her pull the drawing closer to her, as if to shield it from me. I tried not to show disappointment that she felt the need to hide it from me. Then again, I was only a stranger. “Do you mind if I sit here?” I asked, hoping I hadn’t overstepped my bounds. For a moment I thought that I shouldn’t sit there, I should walk away, I had no right sitting with an obvious dyke who made me, a straight girl, feel butterflies.

                And then she said, “I don’t mind.” In this cute, almost nervous, sounding voice, and how couldI say no then?

                “My name is Erica.” I smiled again, wondering if I had ever actually stopped smiling or if my smile just got bigger.

                “I’m Ash.” Her eyes were wide and I wanted to look into those dark blue eyes for hours. I felt a chill run down my spine as I looked into those eyes.

                And I guess you could say I was saved by the teacher. I don’t know if I felt like I was saved or ripped away from what I really wanted to be doing. I should feel saved. That’s a girl you were just thinking about.