Chapter 4: Time to Par-Tay (E)

Chapter 4

I did something I never do. I slept in. The reason that I never sleep in on the weekends is because my parents are constantly waking me up at 7:30 A.M in order to get to my viola lessons. But instead, I got up at 1 o’clock and began to freak out.

“Aunt Cherry! My viola lesson!” I said, rushing into the kitchen as I yanked a red t-shirt over my tank top. My phone constricted one of my hands from gripping the shirt. She stared at me, amused. I was panting heavily from the race down the stairs and through all 7 rooms.

“I canceled it.” She shrugged. I stared at her, mouth agape. It’s not that I minded it being cancelled, no I was grateful. It’s my mother’s wrath that made me scared.

“My mother!” I cried out. She just shrugged.

“I asked permission, I told her we were going shopping to give you a makeover. She said yeah, and to just call Maria- your instructor.” She said, smiling widely as she flipped a pancake. I stared at her awestruck.

“But she’ll know you’re lying when she comes back and I’m still plain old me.” I stated, running my hands through the air surrounding my face and clothes. Did I need a makeover? According to Adrian, you do. I automatically frowned as I took my phone and checked the messages. I sighed once I read them; Jessie was inviting me to a party, pleading with me to go. Didn’t she realize I couldn’t, wouldn’t, and shouldn’t go? It always ended badly. I groaned loudly.

“What is it?” She asked me, turning her head slightly.

“It was Jessie inviting me to a party but I said I’m not going. She probably just wants me to drive her home when she's drunk and vomiting.” I stated, shrugging and throwing a careless hand around. She gave me a flat look and I rolled my eyes. She took this as a sign for her to continue talking.

“Maybe she just wants you to go out and have fun. And about the makeover, who said I was lying?” She said, raising an eyebrow along with the spatula. I shook my head vigorously. This would make Adrian think that his words affected me. They did but not to the point where I would go out of my way to change in the matter of a day.

“I can’t.” I said, shaking my head. She frowned deeply, puckering out her lower lip and widening her eyes in an attempt to give me the puppy dog face. I shook my head, turning and staring at the pile of pancakes she created. She realized her tactic wasn’t working so she decided to speak to me instead

“Why not?” She asked, flipping the pancake quickly. It was slightly burned but I was used to it. I’m surprised she didn’t burn the house down. I noticed her iPad sitting on the counter with a ‘How to Make Pancakes’ video tutorial on it. I let out a low snort. The time it took her to place the pancake onto the plate gave me some time to come up with an excuse; but I don’t think any amount of time would help me create a good enough excuse to get out of anything involving clothes or make up. I decided to tell her the truth.

“Because yesterday I was called ugly and I don't want them to think that it bothered me that much.” I muttered, poking the pile of pancakes I’d shoved onto my plate. She sat down across from me with a coffee in her hand as she looked outraged.

“Who called you ugly?” She asked, getting defensive. I shrugged carelessly before replying.

“Easton.” I stated, cutting the pancake. I poured syrup all over the dry pancakes before I stuffed the forkful into my mouth.

“He lied. You’re beautiful. You know that right?” She asked me. I stayed silent. Lying to her gets you nowhere. Besides, to me- it seems that looks get you nowhere, that’s why I study so hard. I want to be successful and I don't want to have to depend on beauty (or lack thereof) to get me places.