Chapter 19

Elise smiled with relief. Yes! Finally the police! She was never so happy to see the men in uniform rushing towards them. Looking around, Elise noticed Brayden smiling too. Soon enough, the two brothers, covered in petrol, slipped their way outside through the gap. They were startled to see the police armed with guns and shields. They both exchanged nervous glances and as if they telepathically communicated, they both ran in the opposite direction but the police were prepared.

They grabbed both brothers and pulled their arms behind their back in a tight lock. Then they kneed their back so the men fell to the ground, stopping them from escaping.

"Stop! You're getting the wrong person. It's him!" Wainwright screamed. He was referring to his brother who looked like he was going to combust as his own brother betrayed him in front of everyone. His eyes were bloodshot as he sent daggers to his younger sibling.

"Backstabber!" he screamed back. The police had enough and shoved them into the police van, muting their row. Elise enjoyed watching the van drive to the station. Far away from them.

"Good riddance!" she cried. But everything went downhill from there. A police officer walked up to the kids. "I'm sorry, but you're going to have to go to the station. Neighbors have witnessed you harassing people and one has even watched you throw a brick into a window. These actions are unacceptable and so you will have to come with us."

"Wait what? No! You don't understand! Those men are scientists! They did illegal experiments. Check his basement!" Elise screamed as they handcuffed her hands and led her to another van.

"When did we harass someone?" Seth asked in confusion as he was handcuffed.

"They’ve seen you tie a man up and leave him in a car," a police officer answered.

"If you'll just listen to us-"

"You can say everything once you're in the station." a woman officer said before slamming the door shut and the van drove away.

"They weren't harassing people and they weren't trying to vandalize anything. They were helping me!" Brayden explained to the officer but the man ignored him. Bick rushed towards them. "It's true! They held us hostage!"

"If whatever you're saying is true, please come to the station and give your statements there." the man simply said before leaving. Bick cried in frustration. Leo came up to them. "Claire's been taken to the hospital. They're going to call me once she's woken up then they'll take her to the station to give her statement" he explained. Bick nodded.

"We need to go the station too. Give our own statements. They took my niece and nephew away. We need to get them out and tell them what those men had really done!" he cried with anger. Leo nodded.

"How are we going to get there?" Brayden asked. They certainly didn't bring any vehicles with them.

"We're going to have to ask an officer," Leo said before going to find one. After a lot of persuasion, a female officer let them join her in going back to the station. The station looked as cold as the criminals locked up in there. The outside was painted a sick grey and it was peeling off. It gave off an intimidating feeling, absorbing the dread of the people that have been handcuffed and forced into the station. When the boys arrived, they ran out of the car and searched for Elise and Seth. A guard stopped them.

"You cannot run or shout inside" he ordered them. They nodded and waited for Bick to find out information. "I did all this." Brayden ran a hand through his blonde hair as they waited. Leo saw how distressed the boy was. He threw an arm around his shoulder.