Chapter 6 ✪

Treading onto the muddy path, Elise made her way towards the old building; bumping into Brayden's shoulders a couple of times, due to not being able to see him. Her body was shaking all over, her nerves getting the better of her.  Trying to keep herself calm and relaxed, Elise slowly breathed in and out through her nose. She wrapped her green coat around her body tightly, trying to block the chilly wind out but making sure the camera was still intact. They reached the entrance of the building, her uncle held the handle and tried to pull then push but the door wouldn't budge.

"Yes?" someone asked. Searching around to find the source of the voice, they found nothing.

"Up here" the voice guided. They all looked up to see an old camera staring at them.

"Oh hello there" greeted Uncle Bick as he gave a small wave. However, Elise just got straight to the point.

"We're here to see Dr Higgins please."

"And who are you? Relatives?" the person asked bluntly.

"Yes," Elise lied. Uncle Bick frowned at her straightforward lie; in rerturn she glanced at him giving him a warning look. Bick cast his eyes down quickly not wanting to look suspicious and ruin whatever his niece was planning. The door buzzed. Uncle Bick pulled the heavy door open and let Elise in, Brayden entered in pursuit. The slam of the door sounded behind them as they gingerly entered the building.

The asylum was really quiet and looked desolate. No sign of people anywhere. The three stood there awkwardly, not sure what to do. Then they heard the small pitter pattering from behind them. They turned around to see someone push two big double doors. A short lady with shocking white hair bustled in. Her hair was piled up high, a pencil pierced in the middle, and she wore glasses with a chain attached at the ends. She walked towards the unexpected guests, her eyes looking really wide through her big magnifying glasses.

"You are Higgins' relatives?" she asked, with a funny Manchester accent, narrowing her eyes at the two people. Elise nodded calmly whereas Bick nodded vigorously and kept looking at his niece. The lady, whose name tag identified her as Joanne, stared at Uncle Bick suspiciously. Quickly, Elise stepped forward.

"Yes, we're here to see him."

"I will need to see some ID" Joanne asked. Bick gulped and Elise stared at Joanne blankly. Oh no!

"Uh... will my driver's license work?" asked Bick; Joanne nodded. Bick brought his license out and handed it over. She looked at it and told them she will photocopy the details. Bick nodded as Joanne walked away again with her soft footsteps. When she was far away to hear them, Bick began:

"Why did you lie to that lady?! We're not his relatives! You said we were visiting your friend's dad!" he hissed, incase someone was lurking by. Elise gulped. She would have had to lie to get herself out of this mess.

"Uhm,  the thing is, Bick, my friend's dad isn't here."

"Well, where is he?"

"I don't actually have a friend whose dad is in an asylum."

"Then why the hell are we here?! I hate these places!"

"If you hate these places why did you agree to come?"

"Well I knew your mum was definitely not going to take you, and I just wanted to spend some time with my favourite niece." admitted Uncle Bick. For a minute Elise felt guilty in bringing her uncle into this, but happy to know that her Uncle wanted to spend time with her. She should have told her uncle the truth. But he wouldn't believe her. Will he? Might as well try...

"The thing is Uncle Bick-" But before Elise could even complete her sentence, she felt someone push her. Although it wasn't a hard push or shove it was enough to knock her onto the floor. It didn't even take her a second to know who was responsible: Brayden!