22 - Partner

Arisa pov:

I began to get frantic searching for the chimera through the dark streets and alleys – being a mouse chimera, I could only guess that he would find solace in a place where he couldn't be seen or found. But even if he did hide, what good would it do? Perhaps he would be out of sight of the military but he wouldn't be able to find food or shelter. If he came out into the open, either the military or common folk who only feared and loathed chimera would hurt him.

The only person who could help him now was me.

"Ah, dammit, I don't even know his name to call out for him," I muttered when I stopped a moment to look around. I had been searching for him for half an hour to no avail.

Turning around, I walked backwards while eying the route I had taken to come here. I nearly jumped out of my skin when I bumped into someone suddenly. But I was quick to relax upon seeing Envy.

"You're still here?" I asked.

"Why are you looking for the creature?" he questioned, frowning and folding his arms over his chest.

"Don't address him as if he's some animal. He's a person too, you know?" I retorted as he fell in pace beside me.

"He is an animal, a disgusting creature," Envy sneered and I stopped walking.

Facing him with a frown of my own, I said, "Envy, what do you have against chimera? People call them monsters just the way the call homunculi monsters. You out of all people must know how it feels to be called that."

"So what if humans call them monsters? They are monsters. We're different!"

"How?" My sharp question stunned him momentarily. It angered him too and he was quick to grab my shoulders and shove me against the nearest wall.

"Because we are replicas of humans who actually existed! That thing is not even a full human!"

"Homunculi may be replicas of the humans they were before, but they are artificial, created by alchemy. Scientifically, it means homunculi aren't even partially human. But chimera are at least partially human and that boy is a combination of a human and a mouse, a combination of two, real, existing creatures of this world. The only reason why he's a chimera is because someone used alchemy on him forcefully. Homunculi and chimera are similar in that way, aren't they?"

This was a difficult topic to talk about for both me and Envy, especially more for the latter since I knew how Envy felt about humans mistreating homunculi for their differences.

Envy clenched his jaw and turned away from me in anger. "What's the point in talking to you about this anyway? You're a human too so you would obviously support your kind first."

Sighing softly, I stepped to stand in front of him. He didn't pull away when I reached to hold his hands in mine and shifted his gaze to our hands while I spoke. "Please, Envy, I know you understand. You didn't want to be lonely and you wanted someone to treat you right, didn't you? As a friend, a comrade, and giving you an important place in their life. I'm sure chimeras feel that way too. Besides, you know me better than that, right? After everything we spoke about and everything that has happened between us, would you still say I would support humans who shun others so cruelly?"

His glare faltered when he met my eyes. Still, not wishing to give up, he scoffed. There was apparent embarrassment in his expression though, that made me chuckle. With a shake of my head, I cupped his cheeks to kiss him with mild hesitation. Such gestures and the very concept of love were still new to me and territory I was slowly exploring but I had always been the bold type. It was in my blood. So, even though I was mildly nervous, I wanted to experience my feelings to the fullest while making Envy happy.