7 - Dog of the Military

Arisa pov:

Angel seemed almost forgotten to me in the short time I had been in this world. The secret life I had lived seemed far away and the least of my worries as I exposed my skills in alchemy just to fit in, in this world. But perhaps it was fine in the sense that I felt normal here, unafraid to talk to people as the alchemist I was. Though for how long I could hide my past was the question.

I was only mildly perturbed by the eight pairs of eyes that landed on me the moment I entered the office room. I guessed the one at the very back near the windows, seated at a big desk, with dark hair and eyes to be Col. Mustang, the man in charge of the remaining seven. From his posture and the rather bored expression on his face, I figured that he was the type to be lazy sometimes, procrastinating too. The woman next to him though, with blonde hair and holding a bundle of papers, seemed stern.

A boy my age or younger stood in front of the colonel, his long, blonde hair braided, along with someone in a huge armor suit. Ignoring the curious stares of the others in the room, I stepped up to the desk and came to a stop next to the boy, glancing curiously once into his golden eyes before meeting the colonel's gaze. Wordlessly, I held out my unofficial appointment letter. The colonel took it from my hands and read through it before a smile came to his lips.

"So, you're the girl who passed the State Qualification Exam," he said more to himself, "the first girl alchemist in the military

"So, you're the girl who passed the State Qualification Exam," he said more to himself, "the first girl alchemist in the military."

As he put down the letter and leaned forward on his interlocked hands, the boy spoke, "First girl to become a State Alchemist?"

"You've been off on missions so I believe you haven't heard. This here is Arisa Lee, the first girl to take up and pass the State Alchemist Qualification Exam, acing it no less, just like you did. She's sixteen years old and quite a powerful alchemist with alchemy similar to yours, Fullmetal," said the colonel with a chuckle.

The boy glanced at me with a raised brow, "She's a year older than me? She's short."

"Nii san! You can't say something so rude to someone on the first meeting!" the person in the armor spoke in fluster.

"That's right, Fullmetal. You shouldn't comment on others when you're so small yourself."

The colonel's comment seemed to immensely irk the boy. His face contorted in anger and he slammed his hand on the desk while yelling, "Who are you calling a bean-sized, pipsqueak you can't see without a magnifying glass?!"

"Nii san, he didn't say that!" Yet again, the one in the armor spoke, flustered even more than before.

I chuckled at the lively atmosphere here, getting the feeling that I would be able to fit in well. Although, breaking up the lightning crackling between gazes seemed important for now.

"I'm not really bothered by what you said so don't worry. I'm quite aware that I'm short for my age but a smaller physique is an advantage in many situations," I said and the boy seemed to calm. He scoffed though, looking to the side.