Chapter Dieciséis

There was a faint rustle, and then the snap of a twig. I froze like a deer caught in the headlights, and a figure approached. It came closer, and was distinctly male. The moon illuminated his face for an instant, but that was long enough. I ran into his arms, my cast causing some difficulties. My arms wrapped around his neck, and squeezed tightly as I shook and shook and shook.

"What happened? I saw you go outside with him, and I thought maybe something was up... and--" I interupted him, "Jesus Christ Logan I killed her. I killed my sister."  His body stiffened, he was horrified. "S-she took Austin out here, he's over there. We have to make sure everyone is alright. A-And the guy I grabbed with me out here, he's unconscious. Then..then Rocco and Aura, Logan. I don't even know where the hell they are!" I choked back the tears. "Everything's alright, but you...Ah nevermind. Lets just take care of everyone here."

Logan seemed so calm, and it eased my nerves. He called his father, then hesitated. "Do you want me to call the police, Quinn? You did kill her... they might press some sort of charges... Hell I don't know." I pressed my lips together, "I was only defending myself, but hell, they don't know that. Everyone around here was unconscious when it happened. Could you hold on it, assuming Ella can take care of everyone?" I asked, hope rising in my chest.

Logan nodded, his gaze examining my ruined dress and dirty skin. I wonder what happened to his girlfriend. Then he turned away to take a look at Austin, "Putting pressure on it was good thinking, Quinn, but now it might be infected." He told me, and I sighed, peering over his shoulder for another moment before turning around to find Finn, or whatever the heck his name was.

Finn was in a better condition, no major gaps or scrapes. He just got banged around. The worst thing would be a concussion, and it would probably be my fault... I was the one who threw the rock, but... nobody has to know that! Details, details.

I flipped him completely over, and watched his chest rise and fall for a few more moments. "How long is it going to take Ella to get here?" I asked Logan, and he shrugged and looked into my eyes. "I don't know, but you get out to the parking-lot so you can show him where everyone is. I'll be here, and if I'm not I'll be out looking for Aura." I gulped, and nodded. "Keep an eye out for this Mexican kid named Rocco. He's Aura's....date? I guess. Yeah lets just go with that. I don't even think they went to the dance. Christ I don't know. I'll be out in the parking lot."

With those words of magic, I wobbled out of the woods, back around the building, and into the parking lot. Going back through the woods wasn't as bad because you have a source of light to follow.

When I got to the parking lot, I noticed Aura's car was missing. This either means they're safe, thank goodness, but ditched me, which would piss me off. Or maybe someone robbed the car, or someone towed it away.

The dance was still going on, but felt like worlds away. I stood there, numb, waiting for Ella's car to pop up, and for everything to be alright. It took a bit of time, but I recognized the expensive truck when I saw it. Ella parked, covering up two spots, and rushed out of the car with a medical suitcase. "Quinn. What happened? Logan said there were major injuries." I nodded, and tried to summon the energy to tell him everything that happened, but a wave of silence bathed me, and I couldn't make myself form the correct words.

No words could possibly describe the events in this night, the feelings that consumed my body, my mind. I was terrified, I was scared, but I put on a brave face. That should make me a warrior, a survivor, but inside I felt like a terrible person. I was guilty. I had killed another living being. I had killed my own blood. A part of me was revolted by Mirabelle being related to me, but that part had quieted down, and now all I feel is a vast emptiness. Numb.

I showed Ella were Logan was, and they were able to rescue Austin and Finn. Logan didn't show Mirabelle to Ella, and I didn't ask why. Aura and Rocco were nowhere to be found.

My parents would start wondering where Mirabelle was about a week later, but assume that she disappeared at will. They wouldn't even consider her to be dead, they would let her be until they want a little visit to catch up. Then they'd turn to me for answers, and I'd feel guilty all over again. I couldn't face my parents. Not after what I did to their other daughter. They'd despise me, they'd treat my differently. My parents wouldn't understand, and its time to face the truth. No matter how much I want to believe time will stretch, its not going to happen. My time with Ella is running dry, and now it seems like Ella and Logan are my family, and my parents are the strangers.

The nightmares will fade with a little more time, and I'll live a normal life without Mirabelle. And everyone would go forward in life, while I think back to the night where I stuffed rocks down my sisters throat. Its not something you can forget, a scar, but with time I'll know it'll dim down a bit.

With Mirabelle gone, I'll have to start thinking of the future. What do I want to do with myself? Who do I want to be? What will it take to be that person? So many questions to ask, so many answers to consider, but the main one now is, Where is Aura and Rocco?

+ + +