Chapter Uno

-It all started when my sister stole my boyfriend....

I have a sister; pretty and perfect, you get the gist, but that isn't the problem.

The problem is that my boyfriend knows it, oh he knows it more than I'd like him too.

Don't ask me how he knows her every birthmark, her every scar, even her every thought... I mean, come on now, I'm his girlfriend, and I'm madly in love. I can't let him go, he's the only one who's ever had faith in me, fallen for me, he believed in me even when I didn't.

And now it just sucks. It sucks real bad, because every time I walk into my bedroom I see his slimy tongue wrapped around my sister's. I see him cradling my sister into his long arms, just like he once did to me. Every time I see them together its like a new stab in the heart that leaves me breathless.

And now everyone is probably expecting some sort of Prince Charming to come out of nowhere and pop the question. Well here's the deal Bud, that's not going to happen. I'm not Cinderella, or Rapunzel, or anything, and it sucks. Balls. Balls and balls and balls and balls.

Did I mention that my sister hates me? I do believe that it's something I need to point out... Mirabelle Dove Gates hates my guts, don't ask me why. Turf Keller doesn't give me a second glance when he's with her, and Miška (my dog) has mysteriously disappeared.

I'm Lora-Belle Rose Gates, but go ahead and call me Quinn, Gates, or even Shelby.

Today I'm heading off to Shouelle's house, she's a psychic, and just happens to my best friend. Just as I arrive at Shouelle's house, Tuscan McCall, her "soulmate", comes outside to greet me. He's perfect for her, and Shouelle truly deserves him, but it gives a slight twinge to see how happy they are sometimes. It reminds me of what could've happened to me... "Hey Gates, Shouelle is in the middle of a private session right now... And I don't think she'll appreciate any energy interfering, but I'm sure she'll be wrapping up soon." I nodded, shoving my thumbs into my jean pockets.

The way Tuscan talks of Shouelle, its as if he knew her as long as I did. Its charming, and adorably sweet. There aren't many guys out in the world like that, she better hold on to him.

A few minutes later Tuscan glanced up at me, "She should be finished by now, but I'll double check." He jogged into the house with that humble swagger, leaving me on the porch.

Shouelle came outside wearing a tight skirt, and a blue tang top. Not your typical psychic outfit, but she claims that it allows her body to "experience more". Don't ask me what she could possibly be experiencing in it. "Shelby! C'mon inside, I should've reminded him to just let you in, but you know how he is. Always so thoughtful," She gushed, and gently shoved me inside. "Would you mind baking again?" Shouelle asked hopefully. I sighed, brushing away a strand of hair from my eye.

Shouelle and Tuscan are an adorable couple, but they can't bake worth anything. "Shore." Shouelle smiled, and put her hand on my shoulder. "You so need to take a vacation. I can feel the tense, coiled energy surrounding you, despite the fact of it being temporarily eased." She walked into the kitchen, taking out a bowl from the cupboard. "We should take a vacation to Hawaii. It'll be just me and you, and the sand and the ocean." Tuscan jumped up from behind Shouelle and squeezed her waist. "Aren't you forgetting someone?" He whispered into her ear, I noticed her visibly shiver.

I remember when Turf use to do that to me...

Shouelle giggled and tried to squirm out of his arms, and I diverted my eyes politely away. This was their moment, enjoyable for them, extremely awkward for me. I seem to be having a lot of those lately. "Ok, Ok Huncan. Let's continue this later." Huncan? Oh no, a new nickname. I pity Tuscan for having to survive those, even if he laughs along and acts like its no big deal. Nicknames are one of the bonuses of dating Shouelle. She's the first one who started the whole "Shelby" business with me, and just like all of her other nicknames, it stuck.

"Huncan? Hun really now, Shelby's uncomfortable." Way to put me out there. I sneaked a sideways glance and regretted it. Memories bombarded my brain as I desperately tried to shove them in a box, and throw them into the deepest, darkest corner of my mind. It was an epic failure, if you were wondering.