Chapter 3: Operation Sewage

   "No way," I could feel Allison's jaw dropping to the ground, "How did you get it?"

   "I just called a couple of friends- oh, hold on, Kristy is on the other line," I switched to Kristy.

   "Ugh, I hate Tuesdays," came Kristy's immediate greeting on the other line, "The twins always make me bake for them like 20 chocolate chip cookies."

   She has 4 year-old twins. I really feel bad for her. That's why I was so happy to tell her the good news.

   "Guess who just got us passes for the Chevoinelle French art gallery this Friday," If voices could smile, then mine was. There was a long silence from Kristy's end.

   1 minute.

   2 minutes.

   3 minutes.

   "You did," Kristy's voice was small and squeaky, trying to constrain her excitement, "Did you tell Andy yet?"

   Kristy still wasn't at her point of excitement. She was just waiting for the right moment to take it out.

   "No, I'm in a hurry to get to work. I was hoping you'd do it for me," My voice was filled with pure smugness.

   "No problem, Meg," The excitement  in her voice was beginning to leak.

   "Great, Allison is on the other line, I have to go," I said. Kristy said bye before I hung up and switched back to Allison. Since I took her with me to The Plaza, Allison kind of became part of our small clique. Kristy and Andy totally adored her.

   "Hey, Allison. I gotta go, I'll meet you at seven in the mall later. Tell the girls, too."

   "Sure, but your introducing me to your 'friends' that got you those passes, alright?"

   I laughed. "Alright, bye."

   Stuffing the phone back in my bag, I walked out the door and got into my Porsche. The engine roared as I inserted the key and hit the accelerator. My hair was whisked with the wind as I sped off onto the highway, with the music blasting from my favorite station. 15 minutes passed before I reached a tall, glass building and parked at it's sidewalk. Dozens of people were coming in and out of the building. All of them were in professional suits, with folders in hands or talking into their headphone or both. Getting out of the car, I walked briskly toward the entrance before being stopped by a person shouting my name.

   "Mrs. Grode! Right here!" I turned around to see a stubby, short woman running towards me with 2 cups of coffee in her hands, threatening to spill. She reached me, utterly breathless, with a couple of people staring before sticking a cup of coffee in front of my face.

   "Your. Coffee. Got it. The way. You. Like it.," The woman huffed between long breaths. I smiled, amused, and took my coffee.Taking a sip, I made a satisfied sound and licked my lips.

   "Thanks, Maria," I told her. Ever since getting my promotion, the U.S Spies facility had given me lots of stuff. One of them was Maria, my personal assistant. She gave me an appreciated smile before getting down to business.

   "The boss wants to talk to you in 10 minutes. After that, Ms. Kinde is having a meeting at 1:10 and you have to be there. Oh, and your anniversary is tomorrow." Maria and I had been walking till we reached the admin counter. Maria casually showed the person sitting at the counter her ID before walking again toward the elevator.

   I nearly choked on my coffee when she mentioned the anniversary. Crap, how could I forget? I didn't even get him a gift yet. Wow, Megan, forget your first anniversary. What a great way to start a marriage. Note sarcasm.