✙ Chapter 17 ✙

Hey!

I apologize for the slow updates! I've been very busy! Anyways, I'm not sure how I feel about this chapter! I'm curious to know your opinions and just so you know, I purposely made all friendships/relationships complicated! Not everybody gets a happy ending ;) Feel free to check out my other book, Monsters Among Us! :D

- Lissa

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rather than attacking the Torment, I attacked Ethen.

As soon as he noticed the shocked, yet furious expression on my face, he reached for me. When his hand grabbed my upper arm, I defensively swung my fist out, striking him in the cheekbone. A minute of silence drifted between us while everybody exchanged looks, not sure how to react. A frightening sound came from the back of his throat and his hands moved to my shoulders, almost reassuringly. But, I was fuming that he had allowed a Torment around, especially when he knew what one had done to me. I swung my fist again, striking his jaw, but he was unfazed. It was as if he was allowing me to hit him; he wasn't fighting back and that infuriated me even more. Caine opened his mouth to speak, but he stopped when I suddenly charged at Ethen, swinging my fists.

My fists connected with his skin multiple times, before he suddenly grabbed my shoulders and shoved me backwards. I crumbled to the ground, pathetically falling on my ass. A guilty expression crossed his face as soon as he realized what he had done and he moved towards me in hope of helping me to my feet. I gritted my teeth together and staggered to my feet on my own, immediately fighting once again. "You brought one here?!" I kicked my leg out and nailed him in the knee, only receiving a hiss in response. Suddenly, he snatched my wrists and whirled me around, holding me against his body. I thrashed and thrashed, not really thinking about defense. "How could you?!"

His brothers watched with sullen eyes while Drew rubbed his chin, looking down at the floor. I stomped on Ethen's foot and his grip on me weakened. Taking the opportunity, I twisted and brought my elbow back into his stomach, his fingers completely slipping from me. I stumbled away from him, heaving from the frantic minutes of thrashing, and raised my hands, protectively. It was that moment when he had snapped; I knew it by just looking at him. His shoulders were hunched forward, his nostrils were flaring, his hands had curled into fists at his sides, and his emerald eyes had flashed a murderous red. As he strided towards me, every step of his was heavy, filled with anger. He rolled his neck, squeezing his eyes shut, almost as if he was fighting against a transition.

As soon as he was in distance, I swung my arm out. With a growl, he snatched my wrist with his super speed and painfully twisted my arm back. Then, in a matter of seconds, he drove his foot into my stomach, sending me hunching forward - which was exactly what he had wanted. His knee rammed into my nose, sending blood pouring down my face. The awful metallic taste was the least of my concerns. Still gripping my wrist, he used his strength to easily throw me towards the nearest wall. But, literally inches from the wall, I found myself hovering in the air, eyes squeezed shut in an attempt to brace myself for the pain of the ram.

The Torment blinked, his arm extended with the palm of his hand facing me. He had stopped me from flying into the wall. Caine and Ryker were at Ethen's side, appearing shocked that he had lost his temper, especially with me. I continued floating in the air, ignoring the Torment's hazel eyes that were studying me, curiously. Ethen ran his fingers through his hair, still upset. "I'm trying to help you!"

"Calm down," Caine said, quietly.

"I'm just trying to help her!" Ethen hissed, his eyes wide. "She needs my help! Don't you see?" He gestured towards me, almost exasperated. The angry expression slowly disappeared from his face, replaced with a desperate and saddened one. "I need to save her. . .I have to help her. . . she needs me, brother." Sullenly, Ryker patted his shoulder and started nudging him towards the exit in hope of separating us for the time. "I need her."