✙ Chapter 5 ✙

Hey!

Sorry for the long wait! It's a little short! I hope it isn't rushed! Lol!

Thank you all for the support! It means a lot to me and the fact that you are all being patient with my slow updates!! :)

~Lissa

----------------------------------------------

When Amanda arrived at the facility, somewhere in the middle of the afternoon, she confronted me about my 'procrastination'. Honestly, I didn't think I was procrastinating, but I wasn't in the position to argue with her. Knowing that Temp had filled her in on recent news, probably exaggerating and making me seem like an awful worker, I didn't speak long with her. For some reason, a part of me thought she was becoming irritated with me, possibly doubting me. But, I was confident enough to know that she needed me and I wasn't going to be fired any time soon.

After numerous cups of coffee and millions of papers, I dramatically collapsed forward onto my desk. Just when I was about to fall asleep, there was a soft tap on my shoulder. Slowly, I sat upright, peering over my shoulder into the familiar eyes of Archer. He grabbed the nearest chair from the desk opposite of mine and flopped down next to me, his cologne shooting up my nose. He was dressed in his uniform, cheeks reddening. "Don't say anything, but I'm getting frustrated with Temp."

I frowned. "Why?"

"He's acting as if he's in charge of me," he responded, quietly. "Like, I understand out on our assignments, but not at the facility." His complaint surprised me since he looked at Temp as a role model.

"Put him in his place," I told him, shrugging. "He's not as cool as he thinks." I winked and he chuckled, lightly punching my shoulder. His eyes skimmed the hundreds of papers scattered among my desk, widening slightly. As he opened his mouth to speak, I answered the obvious question, "These are reports on Subject 106. I'm supposed to read through these and basically, study him. Apparently, Amanda thinks I'm quite good at understanding the mind of a werewolf."

He grinned. "Are you?"

"Of course not," I laughed, shaking my head. "Especially not one this old." I flipped to the next page, squinting at the small words. "He's very complicated, that's for sure."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, he's definitely a threat," I started, nibbling on my lower lip. "All werewolves are, but Subject 106 has strong protective instincts. He won't hesitate to protect his family or himself. He'll kill everyone in this facility if it means keeping his brothers safe and actually, I don't think he would enjoy it. He doesn't seem to be the kind of werewolf to crave blood and. . . start violence. He's independent and lonely."

Archer rubbed his jaw. "Lonely?"

"Yeah, he's lonely," I said, forcing a grin. "I don't think it's something he enjoys talking about."

"But, he talked about it with you."

My heart pounded in my chest. "Yeah, I guess he did."

"He's complicated," he agreed, his chair squeaking. "And, extremely dangerous - it's a good thing Amanda ordered his execution." Suddenly, the world froze and I found my hands trembling on my desk. My heart skipped a beat and the butterflies in my stomach stopped fluttering. The sickening feeling inside of me made me feel dead. In disbelief, I looked at him, eyes wide. I was lost with words and started sputtering, shaking my head. "Wait, you didn't know? Amanda ordered his execution this morning."

I gulped loudly. "Uh, w-why?"

"He's extremely dangerous," he reminded me, frowning. "If he starts rebelling, we'll lose. As of right now, our systems and provided barriers won't keep him here. Last time, a bunch of werewolves escaped, including him and his brothers, remember? We're still weak from that attack." His words were floating inside of my head, pounding on my skull. "Amanda just wanted to study him a bit more, get some answers."