eight

comment and vote, please!!!! I want to see new usernames and faces (although I appreciate the constant readers soooo much) as I go through and read your lovely comments, so do it!!!! I love them and they motivate me to write!!!

ava

The day had come and gone as Zayn and I sat in a stuffy office organizing the advertisements, whether it was a picture posted on Instagram or a flyer posted to a bulletin, it had to be set and ready to post. He was very carefree throughout the shift, but easily adaptable to the work environment to the extent that he managed to get everyone to call him Z.

"I see you're quite enjoying yourself for a first day, hm newbie?" I lightly tease him, playfully nudging my foot with his own underneath the table as I finish editing the plaques for the gallery on my Mac. Zayn had already finished his task of cutting the flyers and editing the social media posts, so he sat idly doodling on a loose piece of torn paper on the table.

"I suppose you made it bearable," he breathes a tiny laugh that delivers a flash of his perfect teeth before throwing down the pen on the surface.

"Oh hush," I kick his foot again with a giggle. "We hardly did much, if anything you distracted me the entire time," I accused with a lazy head shake.

"What are you doing tonight?" He abruptly interrupts, eyes focused on my own as he leans in on his forearms.

"Uh," I falter momentarily at his spontaneity. "Nothing, why?" I push back my chair casually as I began to pack my laptop into my leather bag.

"Do you want to maybe like, get a drink tonight? With me, I mean." His accent poured out of his pastel lips so effortlessly as I watched him scratch the back of his neck in a nervous shrug. "Or maybe we could go out to dinner, but I mean it's up to you. If you want to go, that is." Zayn stuttered out, completely flustered by my lack of response.

"Sure," I smile gently with a nod of assurance. "Where to?" I lean my hand on the table, watching as he stands up also.

"I know this sick bar between Venice and Washington, good drinks and nice atmosphere," he suggested as he spoke with his hands.

"Mandrake?" I question with a perched brow as we walk side by side to go clock out and gather our things.

"You've been?" He sounded incredulous, as if he were in awe.

"Yeah, I like their happy hour," I softly chortle with a small smile.

"So we should go earlier then?" He suggests, sliding his thumb across the endless stubble that he's accumulated on his jawline.

"Sure, I'll meet you there?" I affirmed in a questioning voice while gathering my nude blazer that had been left in my locker for weeks. Niall had already sent me a text beforehand to confirm my hours, so he could pick me up on time.

"Definitely. Seven?" Zayn timidly suggests with furrowed brows.

"Yeah, seven," I nod lamely as he follows me outside.

"I'll text you later, Z." I emphasize his name, ending in a mindless lip bite as I hover my hand on the handle of Niall's white Corvette.

"Fûck, this yours?" He rasped with widened eyes. "Shït, I mean-"

"No, it's my best friend's. Trust me, my car is dull in comparison to this," I laugh with a subtle roll of my eyes.

"Good," he sighs with his hands shoved in the pockets of his jacket. "I was hoping you weren't into flashy things like that, I am very simple."

"There is nothing wrong with simple, Zayn," I shrug my shoulders with a purse of my lips as I enter Niall's car with a slam of the door.

"Who's that?" Niall mutters while biting at his thumb nail, driving off quicker than I could wave goodbye.