Chapter 5 - History lessons and stupid crushes

Chapter 5

  I might as well have killed myself and they wouldn’t have noticed. While I was trying to process that Jesse was a ghost and vampires existed – something very hard to believe I may add, he was fighting hard and wild with Connor. Both boys had they’re pale faces stained red due to the bruises, fists raised and teeth showing with rage. They reminded me of a cat and a dog tussling, yet kittens and puppies were cuter.

Psst, I heard someone call. My head turned automatically to find Cole with his head stuck out the door, gesturing me to come towards him.  Seeing as he was probably the only person in the room I trusted, that’s what I did.

“This way.” He said, taking hold of my hand and leading me towards the exit.

  As we walked outside the building, I noticed that it was old and rotten. First of all, it had cavities all over the place; and second, the paint had faded and you could see the bricks. It was falling apart. Besides, we were in the middle of some woods, at night, vulnerable to the dangers there could be. Dangers like ghosts and vampires… And who knows maybe werewolves, fairies, evil clowns, Bigfoot… Yes, it was creepy.

  I was so lost in my thoughts, wondering if we were going to be attacked by an hungry bear or a bloodsucking bastard, that when Cole’s phone rang, I cried out so loud he had to cover my mouth with his  hand while answering the call.

“Who is it? Oh, you. Where on earth are you!” he hissed. “Yes, of course I managed to get her out of there. Now get your ass over here, I’m freezing.” And he hung up.

“Help’s coming.” Cole announced, his face expressionless. He sat down and leaned against a tree, gesturing for me to sit next to him, but I preferred to stand. As I glanced at him, he looked worried, lost in thoughts. His eyes were contemplating the bright white moon which shone over his face, making him look like he had stepped out of a beautiful painting. The white radiance showed shades of a lighter blue in his already dark blue eyes. After a minute, Cole’s face turned to look at me and, seeing me staring at him, he smirked.

“Like what you see?” There, moment ruined.

  Just as I blushed and looked away, Michael, Kayla and a guy around my age with curly blonde hair and baby blue eyes came out from behind the trees.

“FINALLY!” Cole yelled at the newcomers, standing up.

“Becky!” Kayla yelled, apparently pleased to see me. “Girl you scared the hell outta me! Michael went to check on you earlier today and you weren’t home! We were so worried! Couldn’t you have left a message?”  

  At that, Cole cracked up laughing. “Saying what? ‘Hey guys, I was kidnapped by this crazy Emo guy so if I’m not home don’t worry, it’s no biggie.’ ” He said, his face red and his eyes tearing up with all the laughing.

  Kayla narrowed her eyes and flipped him off.

“Sorry to interrupt the bickering but I haven’t been introduced yet. I’m Keith Underwood, Michael’s younger brother.” The new guy said, holding out his hand for me to shake.

“I’m Rebecca.”

“I know.” He smiled.

  Michael cleared his throat and put a hand on my shoulder. God, I had forgotten how reassuring his gestures could be.

“Rebecca, I’m afraid Jesse won’t handle Connor for much longer. We need to get you out of here. ” He said near my ear.

  I frowned. “What do you mean? Isn’t Jesse a ghost? I thought he couldn’t die again!”

  Cole rolled his beautiful blue eyes and smiled, reaching out to touch my arm. Despite the awful events of the day and the fact that my mom was still missing, I was now happily surrounded by awesome hot guys who appeared to be on the good side and whose touch made my skin twinkle with pleasure. Lucky me.

“Becky, Becky, Becky… You have a lot to learn. No, Jesse isn’t dead and no he can’t die anyway. What we call ghosts are ‘spirits’ who are born that way. They live like all of us, bone and flesh. The only difference is that they stop aging at the age of 18 and can live forever. That is not necessarily a good thing because they still feel the pain when they’re hurt. Also, they’re the only ones who can kill vampires simply by touching them. Hence why all of them want Jesse and Kayla out of town and they’re paying a lot for that.”

“Cole, history lessons are useful but not when she’s in danger and we need to go!” Michael rushed, tugging my arm.

“Wait a second, Kayla is a ghost too?” I asked confused. Though it made perfect sense, since they’re born that way and they’re brothers…   

  She nodded silently.

“Then, if they can’t die, why didn’t Jesse stop Connor from kidnapping me earlier today?” My million dollar question. I had been thinking about it all night. Was Jesse really a jerk? Every once in a while I saw a glint of something honest and kind in his eyes, but it could be my imagination.

“He couldn’t risk getting caught.” Michael said. His hand was closed around my wrist, forcing me to pick up my pace.  

“Then why did he help me now?”

“Because he cares about you. A lot.” Cole answered. Then something hard hit my head, and everything went black.

*

  When I woke up I was lying down on what looked like a hospital bed. I opened my eyes slowly and glanced around. It wasn’t a hospital; it was something that looked more like a prison. And unless the hospitals in this town had grey walls, a dirty stone floor and a guy passed out on a chair next to my bed… I was in trouble. Yes, there was a guy passed out on a chair next to my bed. Actually, it was Jesse who was sitting unconscious on a chair next to my bed. Great, now we were both in trouble.

  I got up from the bed, feeling dizzy and staggering like a newborn animal, and kneeled next to him. He looked badly hurt, but then again he couldn’t die. There were deep wounds all over his naked upper body and face. Wait; did I say naked upper body? Yes! And he had a six-pack, just like I had thought. Shut up, no time to think about that, I thought.

“Jesse? Can you hear me?”

“Head…hurts…” he muttered, his voice barely audible. Suddenly, something must have lit up inside that head of his because he snapped awake and turned it abruptly in my direction. “Weren’t you supposed to have escaped?”

“Why did you save me?” I inquired, completely ignoring his previous question.

  He looked confused for a moment but then his eyes widened in comprehension and he blushed. Why was he blushing? I was the one supposed to be blushing because of his perfect abs and beautiful face!

  Jesse sighed. “I’m not a bad person Rebecca.”

  I raised an eyebrow and sat on his lap, teasing him. “And…”

  He wrapped one arm around my back and with the other pulled my head closer against his. And closer, and closer…

“What the hell?!” I suddenly jerked my head away and glanced at the intruder. Standing there was Connor, his mouth formed a perfect “o” but his eyes didn’t show shock. They showed jealousy.

_____________________________________________________________

Okay so I know this chapter was too Bla,bla,bla... But it was needed, I swear! Though you have to admit it's a big chapter (for what I'm used to write) and the end is interesting ;) And I hope you like the pic I made, it's on the side :D