Prologue - Meet the douchebag

Prologue

  The scary figure stood in front of me. Or should I say frightening and outrageously creepy? I started walking backwards, I didn’t want to stay there but I was also aware I shouldn’t turn my back to it – to him, to the ghost. I took several steps backwards but the creepy figure just stood there, staring at me. Then it talked.

“Becky…” I stopped dead on my tracks. That thing knew my name? No, that wasn’t happening. I kept telling myself as I rubbed my eyes, It’s just a bad dream. If it was a dream, I sure was having a hard time trying to wake up.

  I finally managed to get some words out of my mouth. “Who are you?”

  Needless to say the creepy ghost wasn’t going to answer any questions. It kept staring at me, nevertheless; whispering my name. That was when I screamed. Out Loud. He covered his ears with his hands, shaking his head.

  *

  I woke up, still screaming and sweating. My auburn hair glued to my forehead like sand glued to wet skin. So it had been a dream, after all. Odd and fearful, nonetheless. Familiar eyes were watching me with worry from across the room. My mom, thank god.

“Rebecca, sweetheart, what happened?” – she asked, walking towards my bed and sitting on its edge.

“Just a nightmare mom. I think this town is already giving me the creeps.” I had been living with my mom ever since my dad died. We moved a lot because of her job as a teacher, and this was our first night in this small town. The whole place, including our house and the school I was going to attend, looked like something out of the medieval era.

“Oh honey, you’ll get used to it. This place is just a little… Different.”

“Awkward, you mean? But it’s fine mom, I know what you’re going to say if I start arguing. ‘We had to move because mommy got a new job and bla bla bla…’ ”

  Mom gave me a sad smile, got up and walked out. I didn’t mean to hurt her; I just didn’t like to always be the new girl.

  After getting dressed I left with my mom for school. She was going to work there.

  The inside of the place wasn’t as old fashioned as the outside. The walls weren’t made of stone; the ceiling was white and normal; the doors were made of wood, but polished; and the students were, as far as I could tell from looking at them, ordinary.

  History, room 29. That was my first class and where I needed to go. I was 17, about to turn 18 in 2 months, and this was my senior year.

“You may come in.” – said the teacher as I knocked on the door. – “Hey! You must be the new girl…” – he checked a list- “Rebecca Honory. Take a seat, please.”

  I sat on the only free spot. It was beside a boy whose hair was jet black and ear was pierced. He didn’t as much as glance at me.

 “Hey, I’m Rebecca.” he suddenly turned and narrowed his eyes, which, as a matter of fact, were a gorgeous deep blue.

“Look, there’s a reason this seat was empty, and it was going to stay that way if you hadn’t showed up. I’m not here to make friends so I suggest you stay away from me.” he turned to look at the chalkboard again. “Oh and by the way, I’m Jesse. Just in case you want to go tell your recently-made friends what a creep I am.”

  Well, I hadn’t made any friends, but I already had an enemy. Oh yes, this was going to be a long, long year…