Chapter Four

Chapter Four

A summary of Alex's reunion with his parents can best be described as: cheek kissing, gentle, careful hugs, crying, kissing, hugging, crying, and just more kissing. Me and Mom were to wait with Alex until his parents had arrived to give him company. Well, mostly, Mom would test Alex on how badly his vision was and how she predicted that his vision would be as good as it was within a week at the latest. For that, he was glad.

When his parents got there, I was asked to leave so Mom could fill them in on everything. I was still in complete shock of the fact that Alex even woke up in the first place. It was a miracle!

For whatever reason, though, I had a little nagging thought at the back of my mind. What if his vision didn't get any better? I knew the symptoms and the after affects of brain trauma and the works, but this was just too bizarre. I wanted to think that, maybe since he had woken up so early, maybe something hadn't entirely healed right. When Alex gave me that blank stare, I was beginning to think what exactly hadn't healed right.

But I had to stay hopeful, for the patient's sake. Even though this was unbelievably abnormal, I was happy for Alex, and I was glad that his eyes would heal. Maybe there really was nothing to his early waking.

That's what I thought yesterday...It was about 10:50 p.m. today and Mom had just assigned me to Alex reading. I'd disagreed at first, thinking that with him awake now, he'd want his privacy, but she insisted.

"Cecilia's asleep. You should go read to him, I don't think he'll mind," she encouraged. I folded my arms over my chest and groaned.

"If he's in any pain?" I asked. She told me the specific amount for a painkiller and told me to give him one dose if he was in any pain. I reluctantly agreed to going and began my way out. The hallways were empty, so my walk was quick and quiet. When I'd reached room 3812, I hesitated. I began to wonder what he was like, was he mean and spiteful, caring and compassionate, sarcastic and cocky?

With shaky hands, I gently knocked on his door, not seeing the point in prolonging the inevitable. I could faintly make out some rustling on the other side, since the doors here at the hospital were pretty thin, then a weak, "Come in."

I opened the door and walked in as silently as possible. He may be awake and conscious of his thoughts and movements, but I was not going to be responsible for screwing up his brain any more than it might still be.

"Who're you?" he asked, squinting and leaning forward to get a better view. I assumed his vision still had yet to improve.

"Your eyes haven't gotten better?" I asked, voicing my thoughts. He squinted again, as if it would somehow clear his vision, and leaned back in frustrated defeat. It was hard to decide whether he was frustrated about me not answering his question, or the fact that his vision was still screwed up.

"Nope. In fact, it...it looks more blurry than I remember..." he rubbed his eyes and closed them. I walked over and sat in my usual chair.

"So again, who are you?" he asked. I sighed with a smile making an entrance on my lips.

"I'm your doctor's daughter," I answered. He smiled and turned to me but immediately frowned.

"No name...that's fine," he laughed. I smiled fuller and began to open my book when he spoke again.

"Well, I can see you have brown hair and fair skin, care to give me the details?" he asked. I frowned and looked around. If there was anything I hated more, it was explaining to people my looks. Usually, they talked about me. They would tell me I was beautiful and compliment me on how I look as if I didn't already know. As if I didn't see myself in the mirror every day.