Chapter Three

After the excitement of rushing into the hospital at two in the morning for a drunk driving accident, I couldn't sleep

After the excitement of rushing into the hospital at two in the morning for a drunk driving accident, I couldn't sleep. I spent a good two hours pacing back and forth in my mom's big office. Alex Truman... I didn't even know him, and yet I knew the name suited him. He seemed like the clichéd, stereotypical popular guy with the hot car, the hot girlfriend, and his own life to draw however he liked. I didn't have that freedom; as much as I wish I did.

At about three thirty in the morning, I couldn't take it anymore. Alex had been in surgery for three full hours now...How bad had it been? I'd only seen him drenched in blood... did the blood distract me from something I should've seen?

I groaned when the clock turned to three forty five. I couldn't take this anymore... I needed to do something or I was going to go mad. Without realizing it, I found myself at the front desk facing Silvia.

"Hey, Clara. Checking out a movie? Cecilia's not up this late is she?" I shook my head.

"No, mom's in an emergency surgery and I'm waiting for her to get out, what do you have that's good? Any new releases?" I asked. She opened the counter top that allowed me to pass into the office. I immediately went to the movie library and began to browse. The movies were assorted in genres, then in alphabetical order. I considered watching a horror, just to keep myself up and alert, but thought better of it. I scared easily and would not go the first hour without peeing my pants.

In the end, I settled for Back to the Future. A comedy classic. I held up the movie to Silvia as she handed me the check-out sheet. I filled everything out and made my way back up to the tenth floor.

In my mom's office, I set up the flat screen and pushed the futon into a comfortable position for watching a movie. If only the hospital had popcorn...

Halfway through the movie, just as Marty is forming a plan with George for prom night, light streamed in from the door. I turned to see my mom walk in. She sighed and took a seat beside me on the futon.

"How did the surgery go?" I asked. I didn't know what it was, but I cared for this guy. Did he not know what he was doing at the time? Why wasn't he wearing a seatbelt even? Isn't that the first thing they teach you in kindergarten?

"It actually went very well. His head was a mess. Apparently he flew through the driver's side window and broke the glass with the back of his head. The occipital part of his skull was actually under a ton of strain with the hemorrhaging, the swelling, and just the extreme trauma of the hit. I don't think he'll be waking up any time soon. He needed sixty-seven stitches across the back of his head and about five on his face. His eyebrow was pretty cut up," she explained. I nodded and sighed, thanking god he was alright.

"I consider him lucky as heck," Mom suddenly said, I looked at her.

"How so?" I asked. She scoffed.

"His head was nearly cracked open, he broke the driver's window with his head, he lost a third of his blood from just his brain, and yet he's okay with only a few fractured bones. Nothing broken..." Mom explained. I was flabbergasted.