Prologue

"Alex, this is the sickest party I've ever been to! You rock!" a random stranger yelled

"Alex, this is the sickest party I've ever been to! You rock!" a random stranger yelled. I recognized him from one of my classes. He was one of the few kids that went to the prep school on scholarship alone. It was nice to see even the most uptight nerd cut loose at one of my parties.

He pumped his fist into the air with his plastic red cup in, the last of the beverage spilling onto his head.

"Hey! Who did that?! I'll get you...later..." his words were severely slurred as he slumped backwards into a bush. Okay, maybe he was a bit too loose. Either way, he was having a good time. For that, I was glad.

Laughing, I reached for my own red cup and took a swig of alcohol. It slivered its way down my throat, leaving a nice burn. After filling two cups, I walked over to the large swing set my parents had paid for when I was a toddler. I hardly used it now, but someone was waiting for me. I could faintly make out Marie's silhouette sitting on one of the swings. Her dyed blonde hair was billowing in the breeze.

"'Bout time you came back, I was starting to think you passed out drunk," she giggled. Slowly, she began to swing back and forth on her own swing, causing my fogged brain to quickly become dizzy. Before I could fall over, I sat down in the swing beside her and handed her one of the drinks. Thankfully, she stopped swaying to take it.

"This was a good party," she commented. I smiled at her. She was so beautiful.

"Thanks; senior year starts next year, it's good to relax before our last year," I explained. She nodded and leaned onto my shoulder. I wrapped my arm around her.

"Yeah, that's true.I can't believe it's already gonna be our senior year. I kind of don't want it to end, you know? All those years you curse at school and hated all the teachers, but now I'm scared to be out there on my own," she mumbled, taking one large gulp from her cup. I listened carefully while fully aware that I was starting to see double.

"Mmhmm. That's why I threw this party; so we can lay back and relax before it begins," I say, my words slightly slurred. Marie giggles and sprinkles tiny pecks along my neck.

"But for now, we're still juniors...What do you want to do when you're out?" she asks. I sigh.

"Well, I know I don't want to work in my dad's shadow, always uptight and always chained up," I scowl at the idea of myself in a well-ironed suit with a leather briefcase.

"But a lawyer's pay is awesome. Your dad does have a lot of money already; you don't even have to really work at all," she argued. She was not getting it. Nobody got it. Why couldn't they just understand?!

"I don't want his help! I wanna earn my own money!" I yell. She flinches, not expecting my sudden outburst.

"I want to learn on my own terms and relax on my own terms! I don't need my father's damn help!" I shout. This anger boiled up so quickly and my mind was so fogged that I didn't even care if my rage was directed at one of the few people that I actually cared about.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean it like that," she murmured. For some reason, in my drunken state, her words were just more gas to the fire.

"Well that's what I heard. You'll never be good for anything!" I throw my plastic cup down and storm off towards my fifteenth birthday present. A midnight blue Camaro.

"You're too drunk to drive, Alex," I hear Marie call from behind.

"You're dad wasn't too drunk when he banged your mom," I hiss. She flinched but otherwise remained stone-faced.

"Goodbye, Alex," she said. I watched as she walked off.

Infuriated, I unlock the car and plant myself into the driver's seat with a huff. Who needs her? I push the key in the ignition and speed off, leaving my own party. Numerous cars line the streets. It occurs to me when I meet the end of the neighborhood, that I have absolutely no clue where I'm going. I shake my head trying to clear the drunken haze that clouded my vision. Why was everything spinning?

I try to focus on the lines on the pavement that were supposed to tell me where to go as I speed up. Wasn't there only supposed to be one?

From a distance, I could see headlights. Why were these dumbasses in my lane? Why did people make it their goal to piss me off and make my life hell?! I've grown up everyday with everyone telling me I'll turn out to be just like Alexander Truman Sr. "Like father, like son." I don't need him to succeed. I don't need his money and I don't need his blessings. I just want to be the hell away from him. Marie especially! How could she not see that that bothered me?

As the headlights approached, I began to wonder if I was the one in the wrong lane... A horn blaring caused my hands to jerk the wheel hard right into the deserted other lane. Groaning from my already strong migraine, I sluggishly reached for the gear. That was when I noticed my car was off. I looked into the ignition to see what I had just begun to guess. The tip of the key was stuck in the ignition. Great. I sat there, eyes closed, praying the migraine would go away.

Just as I was reaching for my phone in the passenger's seat, I noticed another pair of headlights approaching, fast. My drunken brain tried coming up with some kind of plan, but was too fogged to keep a single thought in line.

Wait a minute, these people wouldn't ram into my car head on. That thought immediately caused me to relax, but the pair of headlights wasn't slowing. They kept on. Suddenly, a horn screeched and I panicked. I tried yanking the door open, but it was locked. I couldn't think in this haze.

These people were going to ram into me head on. My car was blocking the entire right lane and the passenger's seat would be the direct hit.

"STOP!" I yelled. Couldn't they hear me? Didn't they see me?!

They hit faster than I expected. I felt the force of their car ramming into the passenger's window and the windshield. Glass immediately cut into my face. I knew it was stupid of me to be facing the car, but I was drunk, I didn't think.

I could hear the crack of the back of my skull meeting with the driver's seat window. In the next millisecond, I was flying. It could have been that I was dreaming, or dying, but then I felt something pricking my hands and neck...grass. In the next second, I let the darkness take me.

**Just a couple of awesome shoutouts:

Thank you, zinszerlina, for my new cover! You're amazing:)

Thank you, awesome4evah for making the beautiful character banner!

Asssnd thank you, brookieismyname for the awesome trailer!

P.S. This is probably the only chapter that will be written in Alex's POV :)

-Jenny20