Chapter 6

READ THING AT BOTTOM!!!!

As soon as I stepped out of James room someone tapped me on the shoulder. I jumped and spun around, I’ve been caught.

But I let out a sigh of relief when I realized it was just one of the guys. I remember his name is Nick. “Jumpy?” He asked.

“I watched a scary movie.” I said after a minute.

“Oh. Well. I need to talk to James so if you’ll excuse me…” Nick said while reaching for the doorknob.

I smacked his hand away quickly. “You can’t!” I blurted.

“And why not?”

“He’s uh, sleeping. James said he was going in early. He seemed really stressed, so if you’ll leave him alone for now.” That was the fastest I’ve ever come up with a lie.

“Oh. Well whatever.”

“Yeah. I’m going to bed too now so… see you in the morning!” I waved while walking off.

“Right. Goodnight.” I turned to see him walking back towards the other end of the house and breathed a sigh of relief then dashed towards my room.

I shut the door behind me and breathed heavily, the thought of what I was about to attempt finally hitting me. What do I take? How do I get out without them noticing? Where do I go?

Nothing. Take yourself only. Take the backdoor quietly. Take that trail Lenny showed you on the walk earlier. Run through that park and to that town he was talking about, Joplin. Find a phone or call the cops. Just get away quick.

I opened my closet and pulled on a pair of jeans with a belt and a blue tank top. Then I pulled my dark brown hair back into a ponytail and looked at myself in the mirror in the bathroom. I can do this.

Thankful that my room was in the back of the house near the backdoor, I quietly slipped out of my room and tiptoed to the door.

I opened it slowly and stepped outside, closing it just as slowly behind me. Then I ran.

It was dark out, so I focused mainly on my feet as I ran passed the swing set and the training grounds. It only took about five minutes until I reached the woods.

All I have to do here is keep a straight line. Then I’ll make it to the trail.

I walked now, into the dark woods.

I know now, that soon they’ll find me gone, and they’ll find James tied to his own bed, and they’ll start looking for me.

This thought sent shivers through my spine so I began running again, figuring that I could cut this thirty minute walk into a fifteen minute run.

I was into the run when I heard footsteps from behind. I quickly scrambled behind a large tree and froze, waiting.

The footsteps continued, getting closer. I tried to breathe quietly, but I was sure they were going to find me.

A few seconds later, the footsteps were so much closer. Then I saw something.

A group of rabbits ran past me, making the footsteps I was hearing. I watched in shock as they all bounced off like a mini herd of elephants. I smiled and breathed out deeply until I heard something else. “Gotcha.” A husky voice said.

I gasped and distanced myself from the person. I squinted my eyes trying to make out who it was, and as he stepped closer, moonlight shone through the treetops and I just barely made out Nick’s face.

“N-Nick?” I breathed.

He smirked. “I could tell something was wrong with you. You were acting weirder than normal. So I-” He was cut off by my fist in his face. I heard a crack that made me cringe as I connected with his nose, making him stumble backwards a bit. Nick clutched his face and groaned.

I groaned too because since he didn’t get knocked out from the first punch, it means I’ll have to hit him again. I stepped closer, ignoring the curses spewing from his mouth and hit him in the side of the head, hard. Nick’s eyes rolled back and he fell to the ground.

No matter how many times I hit someone, I always feel terrible about it. Seeing Nick laying unconscious on the ground like that, made me want to wake him up and apologize a thousand times to him.

I slapped myself. The guy is in a gang!

I resumed running and soon found myself at the trail Lenny had taken me to earlier. I stepped on it and ran the length of it until I got to one of the bridges that went over the creek that ran through the park. Quickly running over it, I continued running until I found a street.

I looked around for any cars but I didn’t see any at the moment, so I kept running. A few minutes later I passed a sign that said, DOWNTOWN JOPLIN. Then it gave a list of the shops around.

Up ahead I saw some street lights so I slowed down a bit. Soon I’ll be in a city. Full of people, full of cops who I bet are dying to get their hands on that gang. It’s only a matter of time now. I grinned at myself. I can’t believe I actually made it…

Suddenly I was pulled into an alleyway by someone I screamed as they shushed me and put their hands all over my face. “Is it really you?” They kept asking.

I flailed my arms all over the place trying to land a hit on the man but he simply grabbed my arms and watched my face.

I stared into his eyes, pleading silently for him to let me go. I can’t do this again.

The mans face broke into a grin and he said, “It really is you. Oh I’m so glad.” Then he pulled me into a hug.

“What the hell?” I said aloud.

He pulled away. “Laela. It’s me, Cameron.”

~~~~

Sorry this one is so super short and dumb but I needed to get it out.

These past few days have NOT been going well for me. First being, I found out I'm allergic to this super cute necklace I bought. :(

Secondly, my new favorite shirt was accidentally washed when it was supposed to be hand washed, so it shrunk. A lot.

Lastly, I had to go to the freaking doctor because I was stupid enough to look at the flames when someone was welding. That's called a flash burn! It's like a sunburn for your freaking eyeballs. It hurts badly. Also, when I went to go to sleep, I woke up the next morning thinking I was blind because I couldn't open my eyes. They were stuck shut. :(

So I'm sorry if it's a while before I get the next chapter out in either of my stories.