Chapter 14

Chapter 14

I was beyond confused. How is it possible that he is freaking out about changing? I looked up at the sky. No full moon. The sun was just starting to set. This took my confusion to a whole new level. Okay, so he isn't a Turned. It's not possible for him to be a born mermaid because he would have turned every time he touched water. I thought for a minute, jogging through my memory into my knowledge of mermaids. Then, it hit me, the confusion ebbing away. I turned back to him, "How old are you?" His eyebrows furrowed. "What?" I rolled my eyes, sighing. "I have a lot to explain to you. But first, you need to change back. I'm not sure how you will take this. You might even think I'm crazy" I started mumbling at the end. I shook my head, turning back to him. "Are you ready?" I asked him, looking into his beautiful blue eyes. His eyebrows furrowed again before he answered, "Do I have a choice?"

Taking that as his answer, I stuck my hand out, slowly evaporating his tail away. The whole time he sat there, wonder and confusion clouding his eyes. he looked like he was going to say something, but decided against it. He finally stood up, ran a hand through his now brown hair and said "After you" I nodded and started walking back to the trail, "So, what were you doing here anyway?" I asked him with an eyebrow raised. At the question, his face returned to the beet red color. "Um, I uh, was at the park and I saw you walking to the small little trail, one I hadn't noticed before, and I, uh, followed you." The pink hue brightened after he said that as he looked away and continued, reluctantly, "I didn't want you to know I was there so I knelt behind the big bush. I saw you looking at the pond. I noticed all the fish hiding. Do you know why? And why everything was so quiet." he paused and looked back to me, his face returned to its normal color. "I also felt like we were being watched. You felt that too, right?" I nodded and answered, "Things have been kind of weird since I've moved here. First, I have a nightmare, then the blood..." Adrian looked over at me concerned. The way he worried for me warmed my heart.

I realized I had zoned out and shook my head, continuing "It wasn't too serious. Frankly, I still don't know if I made it up" He visibly relaxed after I said that, though his eyes still looked anxious, "Then Pearl, my sister, got sick after eating a fruit on a tree in our backyard. But when I checked the yard, there was no tree. Then, I could've sworn I saw..." I noticed Adrian's eyes big as he was entirely immersed in the story and stopped to chuckle at his expression. It reminded me of a kid who was waiting to open his Christmas presents. "I'll explain everything when we get there. Do you mind if we go to my house? There is a smaller chance of anyone overhearing." He nodded, "Sure. I don't mind"

Lucky for him, he didn't have to wait long before we reached my house. I opened the door and closed it after we got inside. "Sweetie, Aqua, is that you?" I internally flinched when I heard Mom's voice. She has to meet Adrian. This will be interesting. "Yeah Mom" Not soon after I said that, she walked in. Her face took on a surprised expression. "And who is this?" she asked. "This is Adrian" I replied. "He is, um, my bc" I quietly added, hoping they didn't hear me.(Bc was our abbreviation for blood companion.) But Mom, having great hearing, heard that tidbit as did Adrian. They both looked at me with raised eyebrows. "Oh my goodnes!! That's great! I'm so happy you found each other!!" her entire face lit up and she rushed to give Adrian a big hug. Adrian gave me a look that was a mix between surprised and 'help me!' I returned a look that said 'Got it' "Um, Mom, he doesn't know" She froze and backed away, giving me a confused look. "He's a mermaid, but he doesn't know it" I whispered in her ear, quietly enough so Adrian won't hear. She gave me a look of understanding, before turning to Adrian with a look of embarrassment, her face pink. "Sorry, I'll just be in the kitchen" she mumbled, turning to walk into the kitchen. I turned back to Adrian, who had an amused expression on his face. A one-sided smirk played on the edge of his face, his eyes twinkle with humor. I could feel the heat spread up my neck to my cheeks. "Um, let's go up to my room" I turned away to walk up the stairs.