Chapter 5

Chapter 5

My bare feet pounded on the hot sand as loud as African drums. My heart matching its speed, which at the moment was pumping blood a million miles a minute. My eyes narrowed and my vision transfixed to only see my destination; the ocean. Claws licked at my back and legs, the edges scratching the heels of my feet. The thing chasing me let out a menacing laugh that sounded more like a chortle, as it played with me, leaving me clueless as to when it will pounce. By now I was less than 10 feet from the sea. Soon, 5 feet. Then, 4 feet. 3 feet. 2. The second I hit the water, the creature seemed to stop. I paid no attention as I dove into the water, quickly transforming. I swam for what looked like a yard before noticing there wasn't a sound at all. I swam up to the surface. My eyes swept the beach searching for the golden eyes that had startled me to run away. But there was none. The moon shined above on the white sand, a silence as dead as midnight. Then, out of nowhere a gigantic clawed hand got a hold of my tail, dragging me down with it. I screamed, but no one could hear me. There was no one there. So I struggled against my captor, looking behind me I yelped in a frightened surprise. All I could see was the monster with terrifying golden eyes. The eyes held a fury brighter than a flame come to life. The golden flames angrily taking over the entire eye, leaving no room for anything other than the bright, almost neon, yellow. Though the attempts were useless, I fought with all I had. I fought with all I had until the blue water turned to a black darkness, drowning out my screams.

A strangled gasp escaped my lips and my eyes popped open as I shot straight up in bed. I searched frantically around the room, looking for something, anything, different. If anyone saw me at that moment, they would say I was crazy. I literally looked like a paranoid freak. "Man", I thought "the dream had really spooked me." Once I had calmed down, I raised a hand to my head, only to pull away and see it glistening with sweat. "Ew. Gross" I said aloud as I rose from the bed, but practically fell from the pain in my legs. I went up on wobbly legs, but froze.

Something wet, dripped down my legs in big round drops. I hesitated to look down, scared to see. The second I saw it, I regretted it. My eyes were wide, unblinking. My brain took seconds to comprehend what my eyes were seeing. Falling down my legs like tears coming from eyes, was blood. Redder than roses, it streamed down, leaving a trail on my skin. The blood wasn't what horrified me. It was the source that left me petrified. There were claw marks, two on one leg and three on the other, all which added up to five. Five marks for five claws. A clawed hand.

Coming to terms with that made me snap out of my silence. I screamed and next thing I know, darkness cowers over me, engulfing me like in the dream.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

"Honey?! Aqua!" I could feel someone's hands violently shaking my shoulders. "Huh?" I said groggily as my eyes slowly adjusted around the room. I was sitting on my bedroom floor with my mother's worry stricken face hovering above me and her hands were on my shoulders. My dad and sister were closely sitting next to her, faces relaxing a little once I looked at them, leaving no room for breathing space. Anyone who was claustrophobic would have passed out, like I am guessing I just did now. "A little space please?" I said lightly. After everyone backed away a bit, Mom said, "We heard you scream and we ran up here. When we opened your door, you were past out on the floor." Her face still holding concern and worry, but not as much as before.

Listening to her explanation, I yelped and looked quickly at my legs to see nothing there. "But, but....my legs!" I was stunned. Was it all real? My dad asked me, "Honey, what happened?" I gulped, "I had a nightmare." "Is that why you passed out?" Pearl questioned. I silently nodded. Now Mom spoke, "Are you sure that you're alright?" I nodded again, staring off into space. "Do you still want to go see Alex?" my dad asked me. This time, I made eye contact with him. "Yeah, I'm good" My family got up and headed to the door, but Mom stopped just before going through it, "If you need anything just let us know, alright?" "Yeah Mom, I will. Thanks" I replied.