Chapter 6

It was a Friday afternoon and classes ended earlier than usual. I decided to just stroll around the streets as I couldn’t find any activity to occupy myself for the whole day. I remembered that I would be meeting my best friend the next day, just hang out and catch up with each other’s lives since we lost touch.

Just as I smiled at the thought, my phone buzzed from my pocket. I reached for it and read the message.

From Harry: Hey, Louis! So about tomorrow, where’ll we be at? Xx

I continued walking as I replied to his text. For a minute or more, we sent quick messages to each other, planning about the next day.

L: How about let’s try out the new bowling center by the corner, near Manchester High? :)

H: Oh, great! It’d be boring if we’d play one-on-one. Invite others, will ya? I’ll introduce you to a friend of mine! X

Reading his most recent text, I can’t help but wonder… Is that friend of his someone close that could’ve been his best friend at the moment? Or maybe a girlfriend by any chance? My stomach churned, but I let my thoughts subside.

L: Sure, mate! ;)

Just as I sent the last text, I bumped to another person due to my lack of focus on the path. I placed my phone back in my pocket, uttering a curse under my breath as I noticed I caused trouble to a petite young lady.

She crouched down, picking up the things that fell from her hold. I stooped down before her, helping her with them. “Sorry for being such a klutz.” I mumbled, glancing up to be met with curly brown hair framing her face.

Soon, I handed her the last notebook on the floor as we both stood up. Our eyes finally met and hers are just indescribable brown ones. “It’s my fault.” She shrugged. “Sorry.”

I shook my head as my eyebrows furrowed, butterflies raging in my stomach as I tried to understand her cute humble attitude. “What’s your name, miss?” I smiled.

She reciprocated my gesture and said, “I’m Eleanor. And you are?”

I reached her hand and held it between both of mine. “I’m Louis.” A pink shade rose to her cheeks.

A few moments later, we decided to head to a café and continue our conversation indoors. She’s nice and it wasn’t hard to talk to her; no minute was wasted with awkward silence. Hours passed quickly, but even though we have lots to talk about, she suddenly mentioned on having to go home.

She stood up, muttering a quick goodbye and a thank you as she walked towards the door. “Eleanor, wait!” I called, before she could step outside. “Can I have your number?”

She smiled, nodding slightly as she walked back towards me and received the phone I held out for her. She typed what I assumed to be her number, and handed it back to me before saying goodbye one last time before she left.

Later that evening, I wondered if Eleanor would want to come with me tomorrow, since Harry asked me to invite others. I queried her through text, and she replied with a lovely yes.

Finally! I thought; does this mean I can be in a relationship again after a long time being single, alone and unwanted? Alright, let’s not get ahead of ourselves. I guess I’ll ask her someday next week if she’d want to be my girlfriend… Or is it too fast?

I couldn’t care less. I like it how she makes me feel. And the hours spent just talking and talking. It’s like impossible to run out of something to talk about! That’s something I look forward to in a relationship: a person to have fun with and never get bored with each other.