Tales from the Nether

Luna Aldergray had died nine times before and remembers nothing.

Reiko Whitethorn had died four times before and remembers a raging feline with violet eyes.

Alfonso di Angelo on the other hand... Well, he's another story entirely.

.   .   .

Luna Aldergray

If Luna knew she was going to die she wouldn't have gone out that day. However, fate is a comical thing that meddles with the lives of others only to manipulate and twist people to its will.

Fate is a funny word for such a deceptive thing.

It had started with Jemima Williams asking Luna to go to the supermarket with her for some celebratory ice cream, the celebration was short lived for Luna; she had no interest in rugby, but Jemima's father plays for the Edolas national rugby union team, the team that won, and according to Jemima, ice cream was in favour for the win.

Luna didn't mind though, it was better than studying and it was a chance to stretch her legs and leave the house. With a scarf wrapped around her neck and her boots finally laced up, she left. Jemima was never late to anything because the second Luna walked into Edolar, the closest supermarket to Luna's house, her friend stomped over and glared at her.

"You are ten minutes late."

Luna raised an eyebrow, unbothered by her friend's annoyance. Luna knew she was late, she'd already sprinted half the way to get here. Jemima, on the other hand, had a thing for time and clocks. Never late and never early, but just on time. Luna waved her hand in acknowledgment.

"Morning to you too," she grinned at her friend's glowering expression.

"It's half past twelve, morning is over," Jemima tsked.

Jemima rolled her eyes and linked their elbows together, leading them through aisles of fruits, vegetables and bread. Past the sweets (however Jemima did stop and mentioned how they'd have to go candy shopping too, it was almost Halloween after all and Jemima had already gone all out. Her hair's been dyed a bright shade of green for it.) Section before they stopped in front of Edolas's finest ice cream store: The Waffle Cone.

It has a traditional 50s diner appeal to it, with its pastel coloured booths pushed back to the wall covered windows. The tiled floor was covered in glitter due to the birthday party that had ended an hour ago, along with the cushioned stools that lined the main counter. Luna sighed at the noise of bickering children and argumentative adults, Jemima ignored the commotion by the booths and strolled to sit on the stools, Luna followed shortly after.

"Hello girls, the usual?" Asked Martha, the waitress with black hair tied back and a vibrant smile. "Because there might be a delay on the mint chocolate, Luna love."

.   .   .

Reiko Whitethorn

It was past two when Jason called.

Reiko was wracked with nerves and anxiety ate at him while he paced around, hands in his pockets that fiddled with the fuse to calm him. It was finally time. Their big moment to scorch their self-expression into the earth for others to see their rage and anger.

Reiko didn't feel rage or anger now.

He sat in the abandoned warehouse and had already set up the equipment in place, all that was left was for Jason to show up with the codes and spark. The two of them knew the dangers of what they were doing, the risk of being sent to prison on arson wasn't appealing however it must be done.

Reiko muttered under his breath and ran a hand through his mess of ginger hair. He hoped this would go well. It had to. It was Jason's only option to help his sister and Reiko knew he was a part of this due to his own existence being a menace. His own life was over complicated and his dreams filled with a feline whose fur seemed to pulsate rage with the outrageous amber it was coloured.

Reiko shook his head at his most recent dreams when he heard footsteps and ducked before the wall.

"Reiko I got it! I know I'm late but I got it."

He rolled his eyes and moved towards the mechanics of their bomb. The warehouse was frigid and seemed to face its breaking point. As he watched Jason punch in the codes and strategically place the burning flame of the spark near the fuse's strings. The two boys nodded at each other and the timer began.

The two ran out of the warehouse and took cover several blocks away, passing two girls with ice cream. Jason sucked in a breath and Reiko turned in time to see a flash of dark hair before the explosion raved on with plumes of smoke twisting in the sky, blanketing the world in darkness. There was a scream and Reiko began running towards it, praying they weren't dead.

.   .   .

Luna Aldergray

Everything blurred as the ringing in her ears escalated until it was unbearable, forcing Luna to drop to her knees and press her hands to her ears. She wasn't sure what happened and how it did, but she searched around win bleary eyes, and hoped to find Jemima. When she finally spotted her friend Luna tried to call out, only to find her voice was gone. Jemima on the other hand seemed unaffected by the whirlpool of flames around them. Instead she stood at the centre, her eyes ablaze and sparks flew from her hands and she muttered something. A second later Jemima dropped to a crouch when a body slammed into hers, sending the two flying deeper into the flames.

Luna stood up; her body ached as the flame licked her arms and legs, and stumbled towards them before she felt a cold feeling in her chest snap that forced her to her knees. Hands shaking, Luna turned around to find an escape route but stopped short, her eyes widening in disbelief while she shook in fear.

This isn't happening. This cannot be happening.

There, lying face down on the asphalt of the road, with ash and soot smeared across their face, was Luna. Panic set in while realisation dawned upon her. She was dead. With a last outcry, the world brightened intolerably and Luna heard others scream as well.

***

currently incomplete, I was going to enter this into a writing comp but got sick on the actual day of the deadline and couldn't hand it in, sooooooooooo imma post it here i guess.

Enjoy, or whatever, idk, I didn't like this much :/