A Marauder's Tale

The rowdiness of men never ended well in the town of Carblestone, that much was clear by the disdained expressions the customers at Wickets held as they glared down at the group of four. Carvell Addington was among those who sat in silent annoyance, his wife sat beside him with dark circles beneath her eyes and a flushed face. She pressed the glass of water to her forehead and relished in the coolness that spread over her skin. Nara had complained earlier of a headache that overcame her suddenly but Carvell knew that she simply despised Wickets, she was never one for taverns and couldn't withstand the stench that surrounded them without a claim of a migraine.

The obstreperous group of four laughed and hollered loudly, Broderick Thorpe slapped Ford Blankley on the back before he slammed his goblet onto the table and ordered for another. Blankley had followed Broderick Thorpe's lead  and the two companions with them, Garfield Winthrop and Hudson Carlton, agreed for more. The other three have sent their gratitude to Blankley, thanking him on buying their land so that they were able to pay their tax. That was supposedly why Ford Blankley was celebrating. His success in retrieving yet another acre of land after he had already bought a mass amount the previous month.

“No worries, what are friends for?” He said with a grin, but his eyes were blackened by greed and his cover up was his false pretense of friendliness. “Thorpe, I will appreciate another quarter of land, the money in exchange will be enough to finalise your tax.”

“Another quarter?” Thorpe asked uneasily. “But I have already given you half…”

Blankley’s tone was full of understanding though his eyebrows creased with surprise that Thorpe had not already agreed to give him more land the second Blankley suggested it. "Thrope, my old friend," Blankley begun. "There are many whom I have aided in the past with my own wealth, do you know how many have kissed my feet and begged me to buy their land even for a penny?"

Thorpe's eyes widened and he shook his head. "I need words, Thorpe, no gestures, words," Blankley prodded. Thorpe nodded his head once more in understanding before he stopped abruptly and bowed his head.

"My apologies, Ford - I mean, Mr Blankley," Thorpe corrected himself with a wince, his face turned downwards in semi respect. Blankley grimaced at the use of his first name. He found it insultive that Broderick Thorpe, a common farmer, had the audacity to directly communicate with him at such terms. First name basis with a commoner? What's next, chatting up with a mule and bathing with the pigs in mud? Blakely thought snidely.

"At ease then, Thorpe," Blankley rolled his eyes while Thorpe's were staring at his own shoes. "I have saved several others, including Mr Winthrop and Mr Carlton, however I wish to help you alongside them as it will benefit you in your life and your family's," Thorpe scrunched up his face in guilt.

"I apologise sir, thank you so very much for offering me this deal," Thorpe levelled his gaze with Blankley's, Blankley was not amused by this and it fumed him from the inside that Thorpe's sharp grey eyes met his black voids. He practically had royal blood in his veins and yet he is surrounded by people who live with animals that they eventually become the animals he despises.  

"No need to apologise, Thorpe, however I will appreciate us discussing the details of this agreement, do you?" Blankley asked with his eyebrows raised. Blankley was a man who craved on power however had none he could call his without being criticised on such horrible choices. He thrived on the power, wealth and time of his younger sister, Serena Blankley-Hayes.

Serena had married Martin Hayes, the current mayor of the Second Island, the Second Island is the uttermost spectacular out of the Seven. It has the most enriched land on the seas along with exports and imports being heavily associated with the Second Island, poverty was nothing there for it was a community based on equality, particularly equality regarding money.