Chapter sixteen: someone tell me how to feel

Zeref walked along his city. In just one night the country was broken. So many lives lost. 'I shouldn't be here anymore...' He thinks.

"Emperor Spriggan..." It was Invel and the other Spriggan twelve.

Zeref just turns and looks at them all. He was at loss for words. He didn't know how to speak or feel at this moment.

"Where is Lucy?" Brandish asks worriedly.

"She left," he managed to say. Those words stung. She was gone. He felt bad for not being there for her but, what could he possibly do to help her?

"Why are you here then?" Ajeel wonders.

"Yeah, shouldn't you be with her?" Wahl says.

"She'll be better off without me. I should've seen that sooner before everything." Zeref tells them.

"You're so dense sometimes," Brandish says to him.

"What the...?! He's still our emperor brandish!" Invel panics with his hands on his face.

"But, he needs to be told this. You need to go to her. I know that you might not be much help but, I'm sure she wants you by her side regardless. She loves you so, get your ass to Fiore right now," the country demolisher says.

Invel passes out from the last part.

"We can help take you there. You deserve to be happy even if you don't think so. Maybe you two could find a way to break the curse together," dimaria advises.

Zeref stood there speechless. He never knew that they cared about him all this time. He clenches his fists and nods.

------

Lucy opens her eyes. She noticed she was in her apartment. Natsu was sleeping next to her. When she sits up her head felt light.

"Wow," she says clutching her head with her hands. She climbs over the dragon slayer and walks to the bathroom to brush her teeth. Zeref crossed her mind then. She missed him and wished he was here to help her. She was hurt that he left her.

"Hey, Luce! Want to go to the guild?" Natsu's voice was heard.

"Yeah! I'll be right out," since she's been back she hasn't had any attacks from her curse for whatever reason.

When they get to the guild everyone was drinking and talking so much. They all cheered when they saw her but, tried hard to keep their distance.

"We are all her to help you," Natsu tells her for the hundredth time but, she didn't mind. It made her feel a lot better.

Lucy sits down at the bar and Mira makes the usual food she eats. Everything seemed normal well, as far as fairytail went anyways. She did miss home. Then her heart started to beat fast all the sudden.

"Natsu.... It happening," she grabs her hair tightly. Her head pounding.

"Lucy! Hey, it's going to be okay. Try to calm down. Breathe..." Natsu tells her while brushing her back with his hand.

She tries but, it was no use, "all of you get out of her!" She yells. Then a small black cloud forms around her.

Everyone starts to panic till the guild hall door slams open, revealing a black haired man with soft black eyes.

"Zeref..." Natsu whispers.

Lucy hears it though and turns to look. The cloud completely disappearing. She stares at the one she loves. He was looking at her intently. "Zeref...."

"Lucy..." He starts to run towards her ti Natsu holds up his hand to stop him.

"What are you doing here? I told you to leave her alone."

"I couldn't. She needs me I can see it. I want to be there for her anyway I can. I'm so sorry for leaving you Lucy... I thought at the time that's what was best. I was so wrong. So wrong about everything. Maybe there is hope to break the curse if we do it together.  I hope you can forgive me..." The black Wizards eyes were kind and showed longing to be with her.

She walks to him and grabs his hand, "there's nothing to forgive. You did nothing wrong. We will find a way together to break this. I promise. Even if it takes a whole century. We have time. I love you."

"I love you too," he softly kisses her lips.

Then she grabs his head and pulls it down, making the next kiss more passionate and longer. Then two black auras form around them then into the predatory attack.

"Everyone! Get out of here!" Natsu yells and everyone does so including him.

The cloud around them gets bigger and bigger every passing second. Then consumes the whole guild hall. It was the longest attack Zeref has ever been through and it was starting to wear him out slightly. He could tell it was happening to Lucy too. They held on to each other tightly though. Never wanting to let go. The dark cloud around them started flickering.

"What's going on?" Zeref wonders.

"I think I have an idea. Keep the curse going. We'll do it together."

"What if it takes out the town?"

"It won't, I hope," she pushes herself more. The cloud spinning faster, "come on, you have to do it too."

He does and the cloud was flickering even more. Tears ran down both of their faces. Their bodies in pain. Knees shaking trying to keep standing. Then everything went quiet. They both watched each other. Their eyes turning red. The cloud was moving slower.

"What's happening?" Zeref's says but, she couldn't hear him. She just smiled.

Then right before they lost all of their magic power a light burst through, hurting their eyes then it all went black.

----

"Lucy? Zeref? Hey! Wake up!" Lucy hears her friends.

She opens her eyes and sees Natsu with a excited smile on his face.

"She woke up!" He yells.

She looks over and sees Zeref completely knocked out. She sits up and goes to him and shakes him. There was no movement. His breathing was shallow and slow.

"Hey! Wake up! Please!" She starts to cry.

"Lucy he isn't doing so good. We are about to take him to the infirmary." Natsu tells her. Him and grey pick the dark Mage up and head over to there.

Lucy follows, "I want to be there when he wakes up."

The fire Mage nods.

"What happened?" Grey looks over at her.

"I tried to break the curse... I thought maybe our love for each other would break it."

"Did it work?" Natsu asks coldly.

"I don't know..."

"I guess we'll find out," grey says.

They set the black wizard on the hospital bed. The doctor starts working on him.

A few hours later, Lucy was laying on the bed with him.  "Please wake up," she says over and over again. Then like a miracle his eyes open.

He looks over at her, "Lucy... We did it... Do you feel that? That's freedom..." He had trouble talking but, he was so happy. He couldn't hold back.

"We did? We did!" She hugs him. Both crying with happiness.

"Oh my god.... It's over. The suffering... This... this is so amazing.... The god is probably so mad right now but, who cares. We beat him. We won. We did it together. I can finally live now." His emotions overwhelmed him. He wondered if he could finally be with his brother, or if he could age now. He wanted to grow old with Lucy. He wanted to be part of his little brothers life. Zeref Dragneel was finally free and he had so many plans. His dreams. His dreams of happiness he could never stop thinking about, would finally come true.