Chapter 21: Lara's Defense

On the highway out of Munich, a green truck covered with orange canvas was driving at full speed through the flow of abundant traffic. Within a car-length away and going just as fast there was a magnificent motorbike, driven by a man of austere countenance. Sitting behind him and clinging to his waist was a woman who stuck out like a blood stain in the snow, for she was wearing a hospital robe and carried signs of abuse. Unfortunately, they had no time to worry about those details.

"Get as close as you can next to the truck," Lara yelled in Kurtis' ear to be heard over the traffic noise. "Just saw a loose strap on the canvas roof. I'll climb it."

"You sure you can do it?"

"I can," she gritted her teeth. "I must." Fortunately, she felt much better now. Her body's numbness had disappeared and the pounding headache had subsided a little. What she was about to do was difficult and risky, and would've required her full range of skills, but she had to get by in her current status.

Kurtis brought the motorbike beside the truck, coming dangerously close to the huge wheels. Luckily, the co-pilot was distracted and didn't notice him. Hanging over the side was a loose belt from the canvas covering the top. Lara reached out and grabbed it. After confirming it was well fixed and safe, she grabbed on with the other hand, jumped off the bike, and planted her feet along the side of the truck.

A violent gust of air almost made her fall, but she clung tightly to the strap. Another gust of wind completely undid her braid. The long copper hair floated around her face like a cloud, which looked beautiful but meant a nuisance. She climbed up and reached the truck's roof. Looking around, she noticed several drivers watching her with a stunned expression, as if wondering if that was some kind of hidden camera prank.

Crawling carefully, Lara found the spot where the canvas was loosened and jumped inside

Crawling carefully, Lara found the spot where the canvas was loosened and jumped inside. She was surprised not to find anyone after expecting a fight: there were only a few scattered boxes in the darkened compartment, which she checked as quick as the wind. "Eureka!" She uttered when uncovering one. There was the Periapt, and next to it a small leather case with the Shards finely arranged.

Having nothing better to use, she wrapped the crystal sphere and the three daggers in an old cloth. She tied this bundle to her back. Then she climbed outside and made a sign to Kurtis, who approached again.

Lara slipped over the side of the truck and began to sag using the loose strap. And then the co-pilot noticed her. Through the mass of hair floating in front of her face, Lara saw him pulling out a revolver and targeting her. She pushed off the truck to dodge the shot, however, and the bullet whizzed past her shoulder.

Kurtis swerved the bike and approached to the truck cabin. Before the passenger could fire again, he pulled out the Boran and pointed it directly at his head. The truck driver almost lost control of the vehicle when his partner fell upon him with a bullet hole in his forehead. He immediately grasped the walkie-talkie and yelled: "Boss! They're here!"