Chapter 23: The Seal's Story

The first time a traveller beholds Meteora's mystical valley they are immediately seduced by its grandeur and solemnity. It can already be seen from the Thessalian town of Kalambaka, beyond a vertical ascent, culminating in a belt of rocks in mysterious grey cylindrical shapes. In the center of the valley, on very high cliff walls, smooth and vertical, stands the isolated monastery of Ayios Stefanos. It kneeled on the hard rock like an altar, and its seeming inaccessibility would impatient a novice adventurer. It dazzled Lara and Kurtis, who observed the silent place under the scorching sun of the purest Mediterranean climate.

"How are we supposed to climb up there?" He asked.

"From where we are now in the town of Kastraki, it's ten kilometres to the monastery," said Nikos. "The only way to get to it is by going down to the valley floor and climbing the rock. Our brothers built the monastery in 1138 with the aim of shutting out the world, an aspect that, as you can see, remains today."

The monk walked briskly, gliding gently over the rocks. Lara started to follow him, but Kurtis stood where he was, shielding his eyes with his hand and looking with despair at the rugged enclave. "Damn monks," he sighed with exhaustion. "Apparently there's no other spot to place a fucking monastery."

Lara turned towards him, peering over her sunglasses and smiled. "Just curious, Mr. Trent: Where's your sense of adventure?" And she turned and started to descend to the valley, leaping nimbly from rock to rock like a graceful antelope.

The valley had more than twenty monasteries, most of which had become museums which tourists could visit through hanging bridges suspended between the rocks. Only two monasteries were still places of meditation and prayer: Ayia Triada and Ayios Stefanos. They weren't for visiting and therefore there was no suspended bridges allowing access. In theory, nobody went to and nobody came from them.

When arriving at the foot of the towering rock, Nikos cupped his hands and issued a signature call, which started echoes in the quiet valley. A few minutes later a pouch made of strong nets tied to a rope descended towards him.

"Whoa," Lara said. "Thought I'd seen it all with the chopper, but no doubt this is advanced technology."

Nikos threw her an annoyed glance, but she smiled cheekily. The monk entered into the net as he said: "This is the elevator for monks. It can only be used by the monastic community. As foreign visitors, you'll have to climb." And he rudely pointed to some steps carved into the almost vertical wall. Then the rope pulled tight and Nikos began to rise within the netting.

"Great." Kurtis muttered. "Next time how about you don't make fun on their elevator."

"At that speed we'll arrive before him," she said. "There's about ten minutes of climbing, more or less."

The upbeat tone of her voice exasperated him. "Looks like your feet aren't aching."

"Oh how whiny," she said, narrowing her eyes. "C'mon, Kurtis, show me the legionnaire who lives in you."

He grumbled under his breath, and began climbing the rock. Lara followed him, still smiling.

(...)

A heart was pounding hastily in Minos Axiotis' chest when Nikos solemnly bowed to him and reported the newcomers' presence. He left the monastery to receive them, surrounded by some of the younger monks, and watched in silence how Kurtis saved the last step. After climbing, his palms were skinned and slightly bleeding. He looked at his wounds and, without more, he wiped his hands on his pants.

Indeed, we can't deny he's Konstantin Heissturm's son, Minos thought at feeling those blue eyes piercing him. Years ago his father had looked at him with such challenge and distrust, without uttering a word.