Chapter 14: Curiosity killed the cat

CHAPTER 14

Arya Crawford

I nervously watched the tool shed from a distance.

It had been almost ten minutes since he had walked in and I was worried about his safety. After another two minutes, a visibly shaken figure emerged from the shed and walked towards where some of the COs and I were, with a spring in his step.

I studied his face and entire body carefully to make sure he hadn't been physically harmed. Toby came to a halt in front of Captain Brandon and with one last terrified look over his shoulder he began to speak to the Captain in a stutter.

I glanced back in the direction of the shed the same time Toby did and this time I saw that Carter and Zack had emerged from inside and were now 'casually' leaning against the shed door.

Zack had his arms folded across his chest and Carter had his hands tucked into his trouser pockets. Casual for all others to see but mortifying for Toby, clearly, as they made him aware of the fact that they were watching him.

Toby told the Captain that he wouldn't be able to come in for work for two weeks due to personal reasons.

The perpetual scowl on the Captain's face deepened in annoyance.

"It's only the third week and you want to take a two week vacation? Did the cons get to ya already? Pitiful. Well no-can-do kid. Where am I supposed to put the two cons you're working with? I'll have to rearrange schedules and find another brat willing to pick up your slack and that just means extra work for me. No thanks."

Toby gulped audibly. "Uh yes sir, I understand your situation which is why I've already figured out who to give my mentees to. One of Megan's mentees has recently been admitted into the infirmary which means she has an open spot for a while. She can have Zack and I can give Eli to one of the new interns. Sir, I'll take care of it. You don't have to worry about a thing."

Brandon grunted but finally agreed nonetheless. And Toby was gone in a matter of seconds.

I shook my head in amusement when I heard Zack yell 'Hell yeah!'

I moved towards the building as both the men submerged into the sea of men during Gen Pop.

I was on my way to the kitchen when Jackson joined me.

"Hey, you're here early today."

Jackson had been coming to the prison almost every day since last week when I finally met him. And in an effort to avoid Megan he wouldn't stay very long but would instead come over later in the day so he could spend enough time with me and chill with my family.

"Yeah, I have some work I have to get done at my usual visiting time so I thought I should come in earlier to see that pretty face of yours."

"Make sense. You want some coffee? Or would you rather have some tea. Since you're so posh and all." I said in my best British accent.

He rolled his eyes. "Make me some damn coffee."

I chuckled lightly as I prepared two cups.

"How has the London life been treating you though?"

He leaned against the counter and raked a hand through his dirty blonde hair.

"Its good. Great actually but London is too far from you. I hate that I have to get on a plane to come see you."

"Yeah, it sucks here without you too. Plus the last time I saw you in person was like two years ago. The distance is terrible but the time lapse is brutal. Anyway, what are your plans for college?"